University of Bath Jiu Jitsu
What We Do
Jiu Jitsu is a medieval Japanese martial art, with a strong focus on quick and effective self-defense from armed and unarmed attackers. We apply the art through a set of throws, joint locks and strikes to use an assailant’s energy against them.
Training is done through situations to simulate a range of situations from warding off unwanted harassment to a series of armed aggressors, at higher grades. A knowledge of jitsu can be applied practically in real life, whether it’s through real fighting scenarios or just improving one’s confidence while walking home in the dark. Come along and give it a try!
The vast majority of our members start training in Jiu Jitsu for the first time at university. All students at the university are welcome at the club, and we will try our best to accommodate you whatever your needs!
To buy membership to the club, just click the standard membership button in the sidebar on the left side of the screen, and go to the checkout.
REFRESH WEEK: You’re welcome to join us for 2 FREE sessions to try out jiu jitsu. Come along to any of our sessions on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday to try it out, and get in touch on Facebook or by email if you have any questions.
Reasons to Join Us
- Great social life – We go to the pub after every training session and many of us have our closest friends in the club. We also have regular socials (pictures below!).
- Self defence – We’ll teach you how to defend yourself with and from strikes, throws and grappling. You’ll also learn how to defend yourself from various weapons and multiple attackers!
- Fun training sessions – Everyone has fun learning and improving our skills in the one of the biggest Jitsu dojo in the country.
- Confidence – Learning jitsu will build one’s confidence and self-esteem, teaching you to keep a cool head and defuse aggressive situations you might encounter.
- Fitness – Regular training can help to improve strength, fitness, flexibility, co-ordination and posture.
- No experience necessary – You don’t need to have done a martial art before to join us… Most of our members take up jiu jitsu for the first time at university, so come along and try something new!
- If you’ve done another martial art before – Jitsu complements numerous other martial arts very well, enhancing your ability to defend yourself.