University of Bath 1 West
University of Bath 1 West is a key academic building located in the middle of the central parade that runs through our campus. This major refurbishment retains the building’s original character while providing increased high quality learning and research space and improved environmental performance.
The £22m project, which added new learning facilities, computer laboratories, research facilities and offices, was officially opened in December 2015 by Thomas Sheppard, Chair of University Council.
University of Bath 1 West Project details
- phase 1: opened September 2013
- phase 2: September 2014
- phase 3: September 2015
- value: £22m.
The University of Bath was granted university status in 1966 by Royal Charter, however our roots can be traced back to the Bristol Trade School – a technical school established in 1856.
In 1885 the school was renamed the Merchant Venturers’ Technical College and in 1929 the Bath School of Pharmacy became part of the college.
By 1960 the college had become the Bristol College of Science and Technology and, following the Robbins Report of 1963, which recommended immediate expansion of universities, began to look at gaining university status.
With the college rapidly expanding and no suitable site available in Bristol, a chance conversation between the college principal and the Director of Education in Bath led to an agreement to provide the college with a new home in Claverton Down, Bath.
The first building on campus was completed in 1965 (becoming the building now known as 4 South), just a year before the Royal Charter was granted.
The University motto is: generatim discite cultus.
The motto comes from The Georgics by Virgil, Book II, line 35, in a section where Virgil is talking about understanding the nature of an organism in order to ensure it thrives.
As translated by H.R. Fairclough for Loeb Classical Library (first published in 1916 by Harvard University Press): Learn the culture proper to each after its kind.