University of Arts London History
University of Arts London History
University of the Arts London is the world’s sixth best University for Art and Design in the QS World University Rankings® 2017. We offer an extensive range of courses in art, design, fashion, communication and performing arts. Our graduates go on to work in and shape creative industries worldwide.
The University draws together 6 renowned colleges, each with its own world-class reputation. Our state of the art facilities include workshops with letterpress machinery, studio theatres, gallery space as well as libraries and archives for research into hundreds of years of the greatest artists and designers. Find out more about the University’s colleges.
Your passport to a successful creative future
UAL is a world Top 6 university for art and design according to the QS World University Rankings®.
We have launched the careers of many creative and cultural leaders with:
- Over half of all Turner Prize winners and nominees in the 30 years since its inception are UAL alumni
- 37 of the 80 Royal Academicians are UAL alumni; a further 17 are serving or former staff
- Over half of the recipients of British Designer of the Year are UAL alumni
- 10: the number of UAL alumni who are current Royal Designers for Industry for product or industrial design
- Over half of the fashion designers that showed a London Fashion Week A/W 2016 are UAL alumni
- Multiple winners in the most prestigious art and design awards: from the BP Portrait Award; Jerwood Prize; Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize; Minerva Medal; BAFTAs, Golden Globes and Oscars
You automatically join the UAL Alumni Association once you graduate – a global network of over 200,000 creative professionals.
We celebrate diversity, individuality and innovation and it is at the heart of what we do – learn more about diversity at UAL.
Over 100 courses in art and design
UAL’s cutting edge programmes and courses delivered by an inspiring and supportive teaching staff made up of professional artists, practitioners, designers, critics and theorists.
Everything from fashion media, Fine Art through to 3D animation, graphic design and drama, there’s a course for everyone. Explore our courses or find out more about studying at UAL.
Dominates global fashion education
Two of the world’s top 4 undergraduate fashion courses are taught at UAL Colleges, according to the prestigious Business of Fashion (BoF) 2017 rankings.
The university of the future
We have launched an ambitious 7 year strategy 2015-22 with 4 key strategic areas that will ensure UAL continues to be a world-class place of learning. Learn more about our four strategic areas:
- Transformative Education
- World-leading Research and Enterprise
- Communication and Collaboration
- Building an Inspirational Environment
UAL: Where the money goes
UAL reinvests all of its money in developng our buildings, courses and facilities to support students on their creative journey. Find out where UAL money goesincluding what happens to any surplus.
UAL Vice Chancellor Nigel Carrington leads the Executive Board which manages the university. It is governed by a Court of Governors, chaired by Sir John Sorrell. Turner Prize-winning artist Grayson Perry is Chancellor of UAL.
Find out more about the University’s leadership and governance.