University of Arts London Costume for Performance
Our excellent workshops, teaching by industry practitioners and work placement opportunities will help you to succeed as a designer and maker of costume, working to support and transform performance.
The BA Costume for Performance course is situated in the School of Media and Communication, and is for students who are interested in designing and making costume for performance. This includes the broad categories of theatre, film, music and television, as well as more specialised or multi-disciplinary performances where several elements are combined.
Entry to this course is highly competitive: applicants are expected to achieve, or already have, the course entry requirements detailed below.
The standard minimum entry requirements for this course are:
- A Level – Minimum of 2 A Level at Grades A*- C to total 96 new UCAS tariff. Preferred subjects include Art, Design, English, Drama and Film Studies;
- or Merit, Foundation Diploma in Art & Design (Level 3 or 4) would ‘normally’ expect Foundation plus at least one A-level, with a total of at least 96 tariff points;
- or Merit, Merit, Merit at BTEC Extended Diploma preferred subjects Art & Design;
- or Merit at UAL Extended Diploma; or Access Diploma or ’96 tariff points from the Access to HE Diploma;
- or 96 new UCAS tariff points (equivalent to 240 old UCAS tariff points) from a combination of the above qualifications or an equivalent full Level 3 qualification;
- or equivalent EU or non-EU qualifications;
- and three GCSE passes at grade A*-C.
Exceptionally, applicants who do not meet these course entry requirements may still be considered if the course team judges the application demonstrates additional strengths and alternative evidence. This might, for example, be demonstrated by: related academic or work experience; the quality of the personal statement; a strong academic or other professional reference; or a combination of these factors.
English language requirements
All classes are conducted in English. If English is not your first language you will be asked to provide evidence of your English language ability when you enrol.
The level required by the University for this course is IELTS 6.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each skill.
Please visit the UAL Language Requirements page, read carefully and look at the relevant documents.
Student selection criteria
What we look for
The course team seeks to recruit students who can demonstrate:
- A strong interest in design and the performing arts
- The potential for creative problem solving
- An approach suited to the demands of the course and the projected career pathways in the chosen field of studies, i.e. Costume.
This might, for example, be demonstrated by: related academic or work experience; the quality of the personal statement, a strong academic or other professional reference; or a combination of these factors.
Portfolio and interview advice
For this course you will be required to upload a mini portfolio. Further instructions will be sent by the course administrator after application submission. International students should contact the International Office at email@example.com to find out about the portfolio application process.
For this course your portfolio should show evidence of: drawing skills; life drawing; research skills; process; 3D; photography; and vocational skills.
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate the following at interview: an understanding of the performing arts; a cultural awareness; visual awareness evidenced through portfolio work; a motivation for working in the performance industry; a motivation to succeed on the course; and a vocational focus towards costume.