University of Alabama Birmingham Zip Code

By | 18th April 2017

University of Alabama Birmingham Zip Code

University of Birmingham crest

University of Alabama Birmingham Zip Code

35294
Mailing Address.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham.
1720 2nd Ave South.
Birmingham, AL 35294.
Telephone
Main Switchboard: (205) 934-4011
Hearing Impaired/TDD: (205) 934-4642Mailing Address
The University of Alabama at Birmingham
1720 2nd Ave South
Birmingham, AL 35294

About us

Birmingham has been challenging and developing great minds for more than a century. Characterised by a tradition of innovation, research at the University has broken new ground, pushed forward the boundaries of knowledge and made an impact on people’s lives.

We continue this tradition today and have ambitions for a future that will embed our work and recognition of the Birmingham name on the international stage.

Universities are never complete. They develop as new challenges and opportunities occur. At Birmingham we innovate, we push the frontiers of understanding; we ask new research questions, we turn theory through experiment into practice – because that’s what great universities do.

 

A brief history

The University grew out of the radical vision of our first Chancellor, Joseph Chamberlain. Founded in 1900, Birmingham represented a new model for higher education. This was England’s first civic university, where students from all religions and backgrounds were accepted on an equal basis.

Birmingham has continued to be a university unafraid to do things a little differently, and in response to the challenges of the day. It was a founder member of the National Union of Students and the first university in the country to:

  • be built on a campus model
  • establish a faculty of commerce
  • incorporate a medical school
  • offer degrees in dentistry
  • create a women’s hall of residence
  • have a purpose-built students’ union building

The University of Birmingham was established by Queen Victoria by Royal Charter in 1900 and was the UK’s first civic or ‘redbrick’ university. The first phase of building work on the campus was completed in 1909 under the auspices of the esteemed architect Sir Aston Webb. We celebrated the centenary of those buildings in July 2009.