University Of Aberdeen Oil And Gas Management
This is a degree programme offering a very distinctive insight in to the oil and gas industry. It is detailed, intense and covers all the crucial aspects of the industry from geology to engineering, business, law, and everything in between.
This programme is one of the most dynamic and relevant petroleum management degrees available in the UK. It provides broad training in oil industry matters by focussing on all aspects of the oil and gas lifecycle, including essential aspects of commercialisation, economics and law, as well as an understanding of how science and technology can be applied at the cutting edge to improve hydrocarbon exploration success and recovery.
The programme aims to develop the conceptual and empirical knowledge, analytical skills and understanding of the business development process in the oil and gas industry. It includes entrepreneurship, negotiating and presentation skills, petroleum economics, accountancy, safety engineering and environmental sciences. The emphasis is on practical application of studies, lateral thinking and management techniques.
This is the only one, truly cross-College programme run in the University. Combining skills, knowledge and input from every area.
Why Study Oil and Gas Enterprise Management?
- We have the right experts teaching in each of the areas that the programme covers – geology, business, economics, science, engineering and law.
- This programme is open to you if you are from a geoscience, engineering, law, economics, commerce or various other backgrounds.
- The industry works to projects. Project teams are made up of all key disciplines. You will experience a similar feel to the way we teach this programme and the fact you will be studying alongside individuals from a variety of backgrounds and nationalities will enhance your experience further.
- The combination of academic expertise across a number of disciplines and course input from industry professionals ensures that you get the very best learning experience.
- You will undertake what many students identify as the highlight of the programme, a one-week field trip to view exploration and production facilities in an area of the UK.
- You will develop the experience and confidence required to talk to specialists across the science, engineering and commercial value chain in the upstream oil industry and be given the chance to develop your transferable skills in report-writing, team-work, creative thinking, and problem-solving.
- We have created a world-class learning environment and we pride ourselves on being a close community of staff and students, working together and sharing experiences.
- Research in the department focuses on subsurface earth science and its deeper time record. To the department’s traditional strengths in petroleum geology, sedimentology, stratigraphy, geochemistry we have recently added significant expertise in geophysics, tectonics, structural geology to form a major research team with the goal to elucidate geological processes in sedimentary basins and their underpinning tectonics.
- Organisations that we work with across a number of areas include – Apache, Statoil, Baker Hughes, BP, Chevron, Conoco Phillips, Dana Petroleum, Halliburton, BP, Shell, Pemex and SaudiAramco, to name a few. These links, and more, help us deliver world-class teaching and research.
- We deliver our programmes from world-class facilities with a number of our MSc programmes having dedicated study and teaching space available.
- In the 2014 REF results, we were 1st in Scotland – Earth Systems and Environmental Sciences (Geology and Geosciences) and 1st in Scotland for Impact Geosciences.
Fees and Funding
You will be classified as one of the fee categories below.
|Home / EU / RUK Students||Tuition Fee for 2016/17 Academic Year||£7,100|
|International Students||Tuition Fee for 2016/17 Academic Year||£17,200|
|Home / EU / RUK Students||Tuition Fee for 2017/18 Academic Year||£7,400|
|International Students||Tuition Fee for 2017/18 Academic Year||£18,000
2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours degree, or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth, in Geology, Geophysics, Engineering, Law, Economics, Commerce, Business or Finance. Joint Business and Computing degrees may also be considered.
Applicants with a good degree and relevant work experience will also be considered.
All students entering the University must provide evidence that they can use English well enough to study effectively at the University of Aberdeen.
Details of our English language entry requirements can be found on our English Language Requirements webpages. This programme requires that you meet the College of Physical Sciences Postgraduate Higher level of English proficiency.
If you have not achieved the required scores, the University of Aberdeen offers pre-sessional English courses. Further details are available on our Language Centre website.
Nationals of some English-speaking countries or those who hold degrees from some English-speaking countries may be exempt from this requirement. Details of countries recognised as English-speaking can be found on our English Language Requirements webpages.
- College of Physical Sciences Graduate School
University of Aberdeen
Fraser Noble Building
- +44 (0)1224 272655