University Of Aberdeen King’s Campus
King’s College was built to house the University, which was founded by Bishop Elphinstone under a Papal Bull issued by Pope Alexander VI on 10 February 1495. King’s Tower is the figurehead of the University. The building is famous not only for its physical appeal, but for its symbolism: the pursuit of knowledge.
The crown of the College, an Imperial crown, is a symbol of universal dominion, as opposed to a national one, and it is likely that this crown was incorporated into the architecture to support the Scottish crown’s claim to imperial authority within Scotland.
King’s College is now part of the Old Aberdeen campus and its rear is still used as a sports pavilion, while it remains the symbolic centre of the ever-growing University campus. It still has an important educational purpose with Divinity/Theology, History of Art and Religious Studies all taught here.
Built in 1913, New King’s was designed to complement its surroundings.
The ashlar used in its construction, the stone tracery of its windows, its corbie-stepped gable ends and crocket-topped buttresses are all in keeping with neighbouring buildings.
This large building was built as a series of lecture rooms to meet the expanding needs of the University and still serves the same purpose.
The University of Aberdeen
Tel: +44 (0)1224 272000