University 0f Hertfordshire

university of hertfordshire logo

University 0f Hertfordshire

University 0f Hertfordshire

 

 

University 0f Hertfordshire

The University of Hertfordshire is a university in Hertfordshire, United Kingdom. The university is based largely in Hatfield, Hertfordshire. Its antecedent institution, Hatfield Technical College, was founded in 1948 and was identified as one of 25 Colleges of Technology in the United Kingdom in 1959. In 1992, Hatfield Polytechnic was granted university status by the British government and subsequently renamed University of Hertfordshire.

Hertfordshire’s enrolment has steadily increased since it was awarded university status. With a student community of over 25,130 including more than 5,200 international students that together represent 100 countries, the university has a global network of over 165,000 alumni. The university is one of Hertfordshire’s largest employers with over 2,700 staff, 812 of which are academic members of staff and a turnover of more than £235 million. The university is a member of Association of Commonwealth Universities and University Alliance.

History

Origins

Hatfield Technical College ca 1952

The original campus for the University was at Roe Green in Hatfield, where it was founded as a technical college. The Gape family of St Michael’s Manor in St Albans owned the land at Roe Green from the late 17th century. In the 1920s they sold it to Hill, a farmer, who then sold it to Alan Butler, chairman of the de Havilland Aircraft Company who lived at Beech Farm nearby. In 1944 he donated 90 acres (36 hectares) of land at Roe Green to be used for educational purposes. In 1948 building commenced. The first principal W.A.J Chapman started on 1 January 1949 and in spring 1952 the 33 full-time and 66 part-time teachers were appointed. Hatfield Technical College opened with 1,738 students in September 1952 and in December officially opened by the Duke of Edinburgh. It was the first large technical college to be established in England after the war. Students attended the college on part-time or full-time courses.