Teesside University NSS
We put our students at the heart of everything we do – we continually invest in your learning and student experience, from technology, accommodation and sports and wellbeing, to teaching facilities, social spaces, your library and your Student’s Union.
Our Middlesbrough campus has recently been enhanced by a £270m investment which includes The Curve – a five-storey £22m teaching building, the £6m newly refurbished library and the award-winning Students’ Union which recently had a £1.1m update.
The Careers Service provides advice and arranges jobs fairs, volunteering opportunities, interview and application support, and workshops to help students succeed. There’s also a dedicated employability site – Get Ahead – which offers you opportunities outside the curriculum to broaden your skills and experience.
School of Computing, Media & the Arts
- We have invested in Application Jukebox (AppJ) which means you can stream specialist software on the computers on the first floor of the Library. Computing students are the biggest users to date and there are plans to extend AppJ in other learning spaces over the summer period.
- We have introduced more course leaders, additional skills workshops and a dedicated personal tutor for every student.
- We have made improvements to the structure and timing of your feedback so that it is more meaningful to help you improve and progress with your studies. Our external examiners tell us the feedback we provide is excellent.
- We have brought in more speakers from industry, including our graduates, to support your learning experience and enhance your career opportunities.
- We worked with Campus Services to enable all computing labs and studios to be open 24 hours during term-time. Following on from this the Library is currently running a pilot 24-hour opening during term-time schedule.
School of Health & Social Care
- Mental health and learning disabilities (pre registration) nursing pathways students wanted more physical health skills sessions. We have incorporated more physical health skills sessions into the practice modules in years 2 and 3.
- Occupational therapy students wanted a traditional placement closer to the end of the programme. We reviewed the curriculum in the new programme and there is now a placement at the end of the programme.
- Our BSc (Hons) Paramedic Practice students asked for clearer and simplified assessment feedback to relate to specific sections of our assignments so we are now annotating your scripts.
- Dental therapy and hygiene students said they would benefit from skills sessions running throughout year 1, so we moved the skills session, which evaluated positively, and a pass rate of 100% was achieved.
- A request for peer support of the student clinic across all three years rather than just a first year initiative was progressed and students have advised that they feel confident in patient management from the outset.
School of Science, Engineering & Design
- We have totally refurbished our microscopy laboratory to create a bright, flexible learning space which affords enhanced practical sessions for our science students.
- Following student comments, we have increased the number of site and field visits across the science and engineering degrees.
- We have revitalised our engineering laboratories within chemical and electrical engineering so that we can provide even more practical sessions closely aligned to industry.
- More social learning spaces and more computers have been introduced to better support the different ways in which we know our students like to learn and work.
- We have provided more support for our maths modules through tutorials and our Maths Clinic to ensure that our students can reinforce their learning in this vital subject.
School of Social Sciences, Humanities & Law
- We have refurbished open access computer space in Clarendon.
- We have offered raising attainment sessions to all final year students to help improve their performance and understand how their degree is calculated.
- Individual timetable information is available to all students via Blackboard.
- A wider range of bookable and drop-in sessions are offered in the student hub to support you with your studies and future career plans.
- A wider range of volunteering, work-related opportunities and option modules are available which means you can evidence your graduate professional skills and strengthen your CV.
- In response to student requests, our Middlesbrough campus Library will be open 24/7 to Teesside University students and staff for the second semester.
- Phase 2 of the library refurbishment provided a technology-enabled environment on floor 1 of the Library. Phases 3 and 4 will complete the refurbishment of floors 2 and 3 in 2017.
- We increased our budget for library resources and worked with academic staff to ensure resources are effectively allocated in areas highlighted in student feedback.
- In response to feedback we have developed a new Library website, launched in September 2016, enabling quicker and easier access to information and resources quickly and easily.
- Fast PCs on floor 1 were installed in 2016 in response to student feedback, and on floors 2 and 3 in 2017.