Teesside University Information Technology
BSc (Hons) Information Technology (IT)
UCAS code: G500 BSc/IT
UCAS code: I200 BSc/ITFY for Year 0 entry
Information technology (IT) is an integral part of our lives. Working with IT involves finding technological solutions to everyday communication needs – if you have a logical mind, enjoy problem solving and prefer working with people and packages (rather than programming) then the IT sector could be an ideal career for you.
Note: this course is for Year 0 and Year 1 entry only in 2017. We currently operate a different structure for entry to Year 2 and final year. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The skills developed on this degree are highly sought after by employers and will build a strong foundation for working in industry. You explore the complex body of knowledge relating to computer science at the current boundaries of research and development. You develop skills in:
- project management
- problem solving
- rapid systems development
- using specialist tools
- working closely with users
- professional ethics and legal issues within IT.
Successful students will merit relevant exemption from British Computer Society (BCS) professional examinations.
Year 0 (foundation year) core modules
- Agile Development Project
- Computational Thinking
- Information Systems Development
- Introduction to Mathematics
- Introduction to Programming
Year 1 core modules
- Client-side Scripting
- Computer and Mobile Technologies
- Internet Architecture and Security
- Rapid Development Tools
- Systems Design and Databases
- Web and Mobile Development
Year 2 core modules
- Information Systems Security
- IS Developer
- Networks and Systems Administration
- Rapid Development Systems
- Relational and NoSQL Databases
Final-year core modules
- Computing Project
- Emerging Database Technologies
- Enterprise Solutions
- ICT Service Management
- Information Governance
A typical offer is 96-112 tariff points from at least two A levels (or equivalent), or 64-80 for entry to Year 0 (Foundation Year). You’re required to attend an interview.
If you’re applying for entry to Year 0 (Foundation Year) please use UCAS code I200 BSc ITFY.
For additional information please see the entry requirements in our admissions section
International applicants can find out what qualifications they need by visiting Your Country
You can gain considerable knowledge from work, volunteering and life. Under recognition of prior learning (RPL) you may be awarded credit for this which can be credited towards the course you want to study.
- Length: 3, 4 or 5 years dependent on whether you undertake the foundation year, placement year or both.
- Not available part-time