Teesside University Hospital

Teesside University logo

Teesside University Hospital

We can provide you with support and advice on all health issues plus we offer services to improve your well-being.

Do you need urgent medical treatment?

  • call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 and speak to a nurse
  • contact your GP for an urgent appointment
  • go to the accident and emergency department at James Cook University Hospital.

Do you need advice?

Not sure what’s wrong?

Use this NHS symptom checker to help you decide the best action to take.

Do you need to see someone?

  • call NHS Direct on 0845 4647 and speak to a nurse for advice. NHS Direct information is available in the Doctors and Dentists booklet available at Student Services in the Student Centre
  • make an appointment with your practice nurse, GP, dentist or optician
  • We have a dental surgery on campus – contact Teesside University Dental Practice
  • if you are not registered with a GP, please register at a surgery of your choice using the information here. International students should take an offer letter from the University, passport/visa and tenancy agreement
  • if the GP practice list is closed to new patients you may need to choose another GP practice
  • if you need to see someone and you are not already registered with a GP practice, you can make an appointment at the walk-in service in North Ormesby. Details of the service can be found in the back of the Doctors and Dentists booklet.

  List of local doctors and dentists (pdf – 65kb)

  GP practices close to campus (word – 18kb)

Doctor Wellgood website

The Doctor Wellgood website is really useful for students, offering lots of advice on keeping healthy and well. It also has a great section on exams.

Check it out using the following links:

Doctor Wellgood website
About Doctor Wellgood

International students – access to health services in the UK

The NHS is the UK’s state health service which provides treatment for UK residents through a wide range of health care services. Some services are free and some have to be paid for.

Mental health and counselling

For mental health and well-being related queries contact the counselling team on counselling@tees.ac.uk

You can find out more about mental health and well-being support and accessing the student counselling service at the information desk in the Student Centre, First Floor, Clarendon building.

Confidential services include

  • advice and support for students with giveblood problems
  • support with course related issues
  • help to access community based support.

Information and advice

For information on how to access advice on alcohol use, smoking cessation, contraception – including emergency contraception, sexual health issues and dental treatment, contact studentwellbeing@tees.ac.uk.

Sexual health

The sexual health hub is a really useful guide to sexual health services and also provides information about sexual health. You can also book and amend appointments 24/7 through the hub website .

Your nearest sexual health hub is at the North Ormesby Health Village, 11a Trinity Mews, Middlesbrough, TS3 6AL. Contact 0333 000 0014 for further information.

There is also a fortnightly sexual health advice and information clinic in the Well-being Centre, Second Floor, Brittan Building. Contact h.wright@tees.ac.uk for further details.


If you are under 25, talk to your doctor about the Meningitis C vaccine.

The Meningitis Research Foundation is advising new students to get their Meningitis C booster. Please read the following information to see if you are eligible:

The MenC booster is available to any student entering university who was born after September 1995 and has only received Men C vaccine under the age of ten years, or any student of any age entering or being at university who is unvaccinated against Men C disease. Students should get immunised at least two weeks before they go away to study.

Those who start the term without the booster should arrange to get it as soon as possible either through their university or college health centre or with their new GP. The vaccine is also important for students coming to study from abroad who are unable to get the vaccine at home. Again they should obtain it as soon as possible.


Mumps is an acute viral illness that causes fever, headache and swollen painful glands. It’s spread by coughs and sneezes. More rarely it can cause complications such as inflammation of the ovaries, testicles and pancreas. If you think you have mumps stay at home and contact your GP or the Student Health Adviser for advice.

If you are between 18 and 25 it’s likely you’ve only had one dose of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine. You need two to be properly immunised. Make an appointment with a GP for another vaccination.


To find out more about measles, please read the fact sheet and information below.

Measles is potentially a very serious illness which can on rare occasions be fatal. It is highly infectious and is spread through direct contact with an infected person or through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

The viral illness begins with a fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes. This is followed with a rash that starts on the face and upper neck a few days later, and then spreads down the upper body, extending to the arms, hands, legs and feet.

There is no treatment for measles but it can be prevented by the safe and highly effective MMR vaccine and two doses are required to ensure the best protection.

The majority of cases (confirmed and suspected) in the North East are in unvaccinated school children and young adults.

To prevent spreading the illness, the Health Protection Agency is advising people with symptoms of measles to:

  • stay away from school, nursery or work until at least four full days have elapsed after the development of a rash
  • telephone their GP surgery, NHS walk-in centre or hospital A&E unit to inform them they have a rash illness before attending, so that arrangements can be made in advance for minimising their contact with other vulnerable patients
  • avoid contact with pregnant women, people with weak immune systems and babies who are too young to be vaccinated, as they are more vulnerable to infection.

The Health Protection Agency says it is incredibly important to remember that measles isn’t a harmless childhood disease and why we’re urging people to check they are fully immunised and had both doses of the MMR vaccine.

If anyone has missed out on MMR in the past it’s always possible to catch-up as the vaccine can be given at any age. Just contact your local GP.

Anyone who is concerned should contact their GP or NHS Direct (0845 46 47) in the first instance as normal. People in County Durham and Darlington can also call 111.


The University has a No Smoking Policy which aims to provide a healthy working environment and protect the health of employees, students and visitors to the University by raising awareness of the dangers associated with exposure to tobacco smoke. The No Smoking Policy prohibits

  • smoking within any University building, including residential accommodation
  • smoking in all student accommodation
  • smoking in the vicinity of entrances and exits to University buildings
  • preperation of smoking materials in all public places
  • smoking in vehicles owned or hired by the University.
  • the use of electronic cigarettes in no smoking areas.

The policy will apply to all staff, students, contractors and visitors to the University. Breaches of the policy may result in disciplinary action.

There are services available if you wish to stop smoking, either through your GP, local pharmacy, community drop-in or helpline.
Middlesbrough, Redcar and Cleveland Stop Smoking Service helpline
The NHS Free Stop Smoking website – and helpline 0800 0224332

Alcohol and drugs

Drinking alcohol is part of student culture, but we just want to make sure you are safe when you are out drinking.If you are going to be drinking, leave the car at home. Try and have two alcohol free days each week. Stay well hydrated, a good way is to alternate an alcoholic drink with a soft drink. Follow Cleveland Police’s advice on thinking about how you will get home – think keys, mondey, phone, plan to get home. Put an ICE (in case of emergencies) number in your phone.

Never leave drinks unattended. Nifty bottle tops are available from the Students’ Union Bar to prevent drinks being spiked. You can also monitor how much you are drinking

Anyone with concerns regarding drug use or feeling under pressure from friends to try drugs can seek advice from Lifeline on 01642 225479 CRi on 01642 245296 or the Talk to Frank website or call the 24 hour National Drugs Helpline on 0800 776600.
The University’s counselling team can also be contacted through Student Services on 01642 342277 or counselling@tees.ac.uk

Disabled students

The disability services team, who are available for advice and support, are based in the Student Centre or can be contacted on disability@tees.ac.uk

Help with health costs

You may be eligible to receive help to pay for certain types of dental treatment and prescriptions for medicine if you are on a low income and eligible for NHS treatment.

To apply, collect a HC1 form, available from the Student Centre or The Link in the Students’ Union. HC11 and HC12 booklets are also available to provide more information about help with health costs.

Giving blood

We support the National Blood Service. Do something amazing – give blood.

University security

Uniformed security officers patrol and monitor the campus on CCTV on a 24-hour, 365-day basis. The security control room is located at the main entrance of the Library. The control room can be contacted on 01642 342086 or extension 3200. The University security guards can also provide a walk-home service to students living on campus.

Contact us

Student Services – email studenthelp@tees.ac.uk or 01642 342277.

Student counselling team – email counselling@tees.ac.uk.

General health and well-being related queries – email studentwellbeing@tees.ac.uk.