Teesside University HNC
Higher National Certificates
- Chemical Engineering, HNC
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, HNC
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering, HNC
- Mechanical Engineering, HNC
- Process Engineering, HNC
Higher National Diplomas
- Chemical Engineering, HND
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering, HND
- Instrumentation and Control Engineering, HND
- Mechanical Engineering, HND
- Process Engineering, HND
For entry requirements, click on the link for the appropriate course.
HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering
The course is for learners who would like to work as technicians or technician engineers in electrical and electronics design, manufacture, maintenance, testing or fault finding.
It has been developed in consultation with local industry and combines theory and practical work with a focus on industrial applications.
This is an award of Teesside University delivered in partnership with your chosen college
Admission enquiries: Darlington College (01325 503050), Hartlepool College of Further Education (01429 295000) and Redcar & Cleveland College (01642 473132).
You study eight modules covering the needs of local and national industries and business.
The HNC provides a sound understanding of all key principles and includes core modules in Electrical Principles, Analytical Methods, Engineering Science and a project. Further specialist subjects may include Programmable Logic, Controllers and Electronics.
- Analytical Methods for Engineers
- Electrical and Electronic Principles
- Engineering Science
- Project Engineering
plus four specialist modules
- Advanced Mathematics for Engineering
- Application of Pneumatics and Hydraulics
- Business Improvement Techniques
- Combinational and Sequential Logic
- Control and Automation
- Data Communications and Networks
- Digital and Analogue Devices and Circuits
- Engineering Design
- Heavy Current Applications
- Measurement and Testing
- Mechatronic Systems Principles
- Microprocessor Systems
- Operational Amplifiers
- Optical Fibre Communication Systems
- Power Electronics
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Project Management
- Utilisation of Electrical Energy
You need an appropriate technician or craft qualification at Level 3 or similar, and a good standard of literacy and numeracy skills. The most common eligible qualifications include A levels, BTEC Extended Diplomas/National Diplomas and Access to Higher Education Diplomas. We may also consider substantial work experience in a relevant area.
If you have non-traditional qualifications, or wish to discuss your eligibility, please call our admissions enquiry telephone number or email.
For additional information please see the entry requirements in our admissions section
You can gain considerable knowledge from work, volunteering and life. Under recognition of prior learning (RPL) you may be awarded credit for this which can be credited towards the course you want to study.
- Not available full-time
- 2 years
- E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- T: Darlington College (01325 503050), Hartlepool College of Further Education (01429 295000), Redcar & Cleveland College (01642 473132)