Teesside University Funding 2018/19

Teesside University logo

Teesside University Funding 2018/19

Undergraduate funding options, September 2018 entry

Invest in your future

We can tell you the price of a degree – but that’s not the same as its value. You really can’t put a price on turning your dream into reality.

Tuition fee loan

If you are a full-time undergraduate student from the UK or EU you can apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the full cost of your fees each year.

Maintenance loan

Full-time students can take out a maintenance loan for living costs. The amount you’re entitled to depends on a number of factors which include your household income, where you live and where you study. The maximum maintenance loan available to a student ordinarily living in England who begins studying in or after September 2017 is £8,430 a year – the government hasn’t yet announced the maximum figure for 2018 entry. If you are a student applying from Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland you can find out more about your entitlements here:

  • Scotland
  • Wales
  • Northern Ireland


Pay back your student loan (tuition and maintenance) when you are earning over £25,000 a year. Repayments will be 9% of your income above £25,000, so the amount repaid each month depends on how much you earn.

Social work bursary

If you are a social work student you can apply for all of the funding listed above in the same way as other students, however you may also be entitled to a social work bursary from the NHS in Year 2 and Year 3 of the BA (Hons) Social Work.

Care leavers’ bursary

Teesside University provides a care leavers’ bursary of £1,000 a year for those students who come to us from a care background. Find out more from Student Finance (contact details below).

Part-time funding

If you are an eligible new student enrolling on a higher education programme and studying at least 30 credits a year, you can apply for a government loan. Government loans ensure that undergraduate education at Teesside University remains free at the point of entry and you only make repayments if you are earning over £25,000 a year. You start repaying four years after the start of your course, even if you are still studying.

Employers may be able to pay part or all of your fees up front if you ask them. You get to study for a qualification that will improve your ability to do your job and advance your career, and your employer benefits from a better-qualified, more productive and motivated employee.

If you hold at least an honours degree or higher level higher education qualification, and start a part-time honours degree course in engineering, technology or computer science, you may qualify for a part-time fee loan for a new course.

Postgraduate funding options, January 2018 entry

Investing in your future

We can tell you the price of a postgraduate degree – but that’s not the same as its value. You really can’t put a price on turning your dream into reality.

Postgraduate funding options for September 2018 entry will be confirmed soon – please check back for updates.

£10,280 postgraduate funding

Student loans are available for postgraduate master’s degrees in all subjects, including taught and research programmes for courses beginning on or after 1 August 2017. These loans are available for full-time, part-time and distance learning courses.

You can get up to £10,280 for your whole course. If you’re studying for 2, 3 or 4 academic years, the loan will be divided equally across each year of your course.

Postgraduate Study Loans

Find out more about loans and funding for postgraduate study at Teesside University.


  • You must be a UK national ordinarily resident in England. Or an EU, EEA or Swiss national ordinarily resident in the EU, EEA or Switzerland.
  • You must be under 60, without an existing qualification at master’s-level or above.
  • You must be taking a full stand-alone master’s course (180 credits), not a partial master’s course requiring a lesser number of credits as a result of being awarded recognition of prior learning (RPL) from previous study or experience. Find out more about RPL here.

You pay back 6% of your income over £21,000 a year, starting from three years after graduation. Interest is charged at RPI +3%.

Find out more

Research funding

Some research projects at the University, which may be carried out as the basis of research degrees, are offered with partial or complete funding to cover fees and/or living costs.

Other sources of funding

These may include:

  • research councils
  • British Federation of Women Graduates
  • Student Awards Agency for Scotland

Social work bursary

You may also be entitled to an NHS social work bursary in Year 1 and 2 of the MA Social Work Studies course.
More about social work bursaries


You may be funded by your employer to cover all or part of course fees. You must provide a letter confirming this or you will be invoiced for your fees.

Professional and career development loan

We are a professional and career development loans-registered learning provider (registration number 3997). A professional and career development loan is a commercial bank loan that you can use to help pay for work-related learning. For more information about financial assistance to support your learning, please visit the GOV.UK website or contact the National Careers Service on 0800 100 900.

More information

For all fees and funding enquiries, please contact Student Finance.