Saint Mary’s University Since 1802
Edmund Burke arrives in Halifax in 1802 and opens the college that will become Saint Mary’s. Permanant degree granting status is granted in 1852. Changing location several times, in 1903 the campus moves to Windsor St.
1 March, 1802
Edmund Burke writes for permission of the Governor of Nova Scotia to establish a college in Halifax for the education of young men.
10 July, 1802
Edmund Burke writes to the Bishop of Quebec that the College building has been completed: “a house of two stories, with kitchen and dining room in the basement, as well as cellar and storeroom. It is sixty feet by forty within the walls.”.
St Mary’s University
99 Waldegrave Road
Teddington Lock campus