Requirements for University of Birmingham
Undergraduate entry requirements
We welcome applications from students offering A levels and other relevant qualifications.
As well as meeting the specific entry requirements of your chosen course, which can be found on course specific pages in our course finder, you must also be accepted by the Admissions Tutor for your course.
In addition, we require literacy and numeracy skills which can normally be demonstrated if you have the following: GCSE English and GCSE mathematics (including IGCSEs), both grade C or above.
Some programmes may require a particular grade in one or both of these subjects. This will be noted with the course entry in the course finder. Applicants must normally also be 17 years old by 1 October of the year in which their programme starts.
We accept the following qualifications:
- Three GCE A levels (including International A Levels)
- The International Baccalaureate Diploma
- SQA Highers and Advanced Highers (many programmes will accept Highers without additional Advanced Highers)
- The Cambridge Pre-U (minimum three separate subjects)
- A mix of A levels and Cambridge Pre-U subjects (minimum three in total)
- The Irish Leaving Certificate Higher Level
- The European Baccalaureate
Other qualifications may be considered for some programmes, for example:
- The Advanced Diploma
- Appropriate BTEC National or Higher National Qualifications achieved with merit and distinctions
- An Access to Higher Education qualification
International student entry requirements
We welcome undergraduate applications from all candidates offering A level or equivalent overseas qualifications (including the International Baccalaureate or a recognised Foundation Programme). All candidates must achieve appropriate grades in their examinations.
The A level requirements are listed next to the programme entry in the course finder. To find out what the grade requirements would be for a qualification that you have studied in your own country, please see your individual country page information.
English language requirements
In order to undertake a programme of study here at the University, you will need to demonstrate that a suitable level of English proficiency. You can demonstrate your level of English with IELTS/TOEFL/PTE or alternative qualifications. The sections below will tell you what grades you need in these qualifications for the subject area you want to study. Please note that English tests/qualifications normally need to have been taken within two years of the start date of your programme.