Queen’s University Belfast Twitter
A member of the Russell Group leading UK research-intensive universities, QUB provides world-class education & research. RT≠Endorsement http://bit.ly/SocialHouseRules …
Queen’s University Belfast (informally Queen’s or QUB) is a public research university in Belfast, Northern Ireland The university was chartered in 1845, and opened in 1849 as “Queen’s College, Belfast”, but has roots going back to 1810 and the Royal Belfast Academical Institution.
The university forms the focal point of the Queen’s Quarter area of the city, one of Belfast’s four cultural districts. It offers academic degrees at various levels and across a broad subject range, with over 300 degree programmes available. Its acting President and Vice-Chancellor is James McElnay, and its Chancellor is Thomas Moran.
Queen’s is a member of the Russell Group of leading research intensive universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the European University Association, Universities Ireland and Universities UK. The university is associated with two Nobel laureates and one Turing Award laureate.
Faculties and schools
Academics at Queen’s are organised into fifteen schools across three faculties. The three faculties are the Faculty of Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences, the Faculty of Engineering & Physical Sciences and the Faculty of Medicine, Health & Life Sciences. Each of the 20 schools operates as a primary management unit of the university and the schools are the focus for education and research for their respective subject areas.
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- School of Electronics, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- School of Arts, English and Languages
- School of History, Anthropology, Philosophy and Politics
- School of Law
- Queen’s Management School
- School of Mathematics and Physics
- School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences
- School of Nursing and Midwifery
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Natural and Built Environment
- School of Psychology
- School of Social Sciences, Education and Social Work