Queen’s University Belfast Office 365
OFFICE 365 @ QUEEN’S
Office 365 at Queen’s is based on “Office 365”, a Microsoft product that provides access to a range of cloud-based services. All Queen’s University staff and students are registered for this service, and can access a variety of productivity and collaboration tools on a wide range of devices. To access the service, click on the following URL:
Please make sure this is the URL you bookmark, not any variant
For more Information, please refer to
Getting Started with Office 365 (guide for staff and research students – PDF format)
Getting Started with Office 365 (guide for students – PDF format)
Please note: Once you leave the University, access to this service will expire.
Key features available through the University’s subscription to Office 365 include:
Installation on up to a total of five devices, including PCs, Macs, Smartphones and Tablets.
Office 365 provides access to email though an Outlook Web app. This provides access to 50 Gigabytes of mailbox storage. Please note that this service is only available to undergraduate and postgraduate taught students at this time.
Office 365 EMail – Recover deleted items
When you delete an item (email message, calendar event, task, etc.), it is moved to your Deleted Items folder. Depending on your EMail client settings, such messages may be periodically emptied from your Deleted Items folder. Once this folder has been empty, the Outlook Web App and desktop version of Outlook will allow you to recover deleted items that are no longer visible in your Deleted Items folder.
OneDrive for Business
‘OneDrive for Business’ is a cloud-based file storage service provided for Queen’s University by Microsoft. (Please note this is a different Microsoft service from the publicly available OneDrive.)
Some essential information for staff and students, when using OneDrive for Business:
- You have access to 1 Terabyte of storage space
- Can synchronise files across devices
- Can share documents with other users both internal and external to Queen’s
- Have options for document versioning
- Can recover deleted documents for up to 90 days only
- You should be aware that as OneDrive for Business is a third party supplied service the University cannot guarantee its availability at all times
- Staff and students should consider OneDrive for Business as a complementary service and not a replacement service for the campus based storage service, commonly known as the QDrive/Q: drive, which will remain available to all users. Information Services strongly recommends that master copies of all key documents are stored on the Qdrive/Q: drive.
- You can use One Drive for Business to store any type of data, but Information Services recommends that storage takes account of the University’s Information Handling Policy
- You should be aware that the University can accept no responsibility for the loss or corruption of any private data a user chooses to store in OneDrive for Business’
- Read more about Data Security and Office 365
Microsoft Office Software Online
Office 365 provides access to Web app versions of a range of Office applications. This means that Office applications can be accessed from any browser on any device, without the need to have Microsoft Office installed. Core Web apps available online include:
These Web app versions of Office products do not include all the features available through the full Office desktop applications. If you require the full set of features, you can download up to five copies of Office.
- Go to the Office 365 portal at: https://office365.qub.ac.uk (using the computer where you want to install Office).
- In the upper-right corner of the page, tap or click Settings and tap or click Office 365. Make sure that the Settings tab is selected on the left, and then tap or click Software.
- On the Office page, select a language, and then tap or click Install
Skype for Business
Skype for Business provides access to instant messaging, web-based conferencing, and the ability to share applications with colleagues.
Office 365 provides access to other applications such as Sway and Delve, that can support creativity and collaboration.
More information, help and training for all these products can be found at: www.support.office.com
Information Services do not back up Office 365 accounts.
Items can only be recovered within 30 days of when they were emptied from within the “Deleted Items” folder. After 30 days, items cannot be restored.
Once items are purged from the “Recover Deleted Items” folder, they can no longer be recovered. Unfortunately, Information Services has no additional way to recover deleted items.