Queen’s University Belfast Leadership for Sustainable Development
MSc Leadership for Sustainable Development
Queen’s University Belfast Leadership for Sustainable Development, Managing sustainability is one of the most challenging and rapidly growing areas in both the public and private sectors. With increasing recognition of the impact of a world living beyond its means, the commitment to sustainable development to meet the needs of present generations without jeopardising those of the future has never been more apparent.
This innovative conversion Masters programme is open to applicants from all disciplinary backgrounds and promotes leadership and embraces action-based, experiential learning, facilitated through a series of lectures, work placements and group projects. The programme fosters critical thinking and promotes the use of initiative for problem solving and decision-making in sustainable development.
For more information, watch our recent webinar!
Students will be introduced to leadership and sustainable development over three taught modules to help gain an overview of the principles and values of sustainable development, and why it is important.
- Leadership for Sustainable Development: explores theories and practices of leadership and project management in the context of sustainable development.
- Foundations for Sustainable Development 1 & 2: considers core themes, policies and strategies underpinning sustainable development.
- Effective Leadership (Group Project): requires a small group of students to engage over the year in a project of their choice to promote sustainable development through ‘experiential learning’.
Spring and Summer Semesters
Students carry out three placements, each comprising eight weeks’ work in each of the following:
- Sustainable Development in NGO (Placement 1): provides experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Non-Governmental Organisations.
- Sustainable Development in Governance (Placement 2): provides experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Governance.
- Sustainable Development in Business (Placement 3): provides experiences of sustainable development and leadership in Business.
For more information, JOIN OUR UPCOMING WEBINAR!
Normally a 2.2 Honours degree or above or an equivalent qualification acceptable to the University.
Applicants who do not meet the above academic requirements will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Submission of a portfolio and/or interview may be required.
Fees & Funding
There is a range of funding and scholarship options available to those considering study at Queen’s.
For tuition fee information see www.qub.ac.uk/Study/PostgraduateStudy/TuitionFees/
From the academic year 2017/18, the Department for the Economy will provide a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 per NI / EU student for postgraduate study. Tuition fee loan information.
A postgraduate loans system in the UK offers government-backed student loans of up to £10,280 for taught and research Masters courses in all subject areas. Criteria, eligibility, repayment and application information are available on the UK government website.
Tuition Fees for 2017/18
Home/EU Fees: £5,500
International Fees: £15,200
For more information please see Tuition Fees
|Commonwealth Shared Scholarships Scheme (DFID Award)||Full Fees plus additional costs|
|Gibson Scholarships||11 Full Fee bursaries (NI applicants only)|
A number of Gibson Trust bursaries are normally available. Students are invited to inquire about the availability of bursaries. Please contact the school for more information.
For fees, funding and further information see: go.qub.ac.uk/pgstudy
How To Apply
Applicants for Postgraduate programmes are strongly advised to carefully read the important information and follow the steps set out here before submitting their application via the Postgraduate Direct Applications Portal.
If you have queries on course content please contact the school representative below.
Dr Jude Stephens
The Gibson Institute for Land, Food and Environment School of Biological Sciences
Tel: 9097 2114