Plymouth University Events
Plymouth University Events
The theme for BunB 2017 is “A Sense of Place”: Our increasingly mediated relationship with the environment brings new insights to the invisible forces that affect complex ecologies.
From meteorological data flows to temporal climate change models, our relationship with our environment is becoming more abstract, simulated and remote – tempering our desire to act. Could it be that we know more and experience less? BunB 2017 maps the coordinates of our Sense of Place – the horizontal landscape to the vertical transcalar spaces of the macro/micro.
BunB 2017 is delighted to be hosting the ‘Overview’, a 50th anniversary celebration of Leonardo. The Overview celebrates Leonardo’s impact by providing a transdisciplinary change of perspective on the world.
- 19-23 August: Balance Unbalance Workshops in the North Devon UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Dartmoor and Plymouth campus.
- 21-23 August: Parallel sessions of papers, panels and workshops for the three days of the conference.
- 21 August: Conference meal and Ocean Studios opening.
- 22 August: Leonardo’s 50th Anniversary. BunB 2017 is delighted to be hosting the ‘Overview’, a 50th anniversary celebration of Leonardo. The Leonardo Overview Panel will take place on the afternoon of 22 August, followed by a celebratory meal at the Eden Project in Cornwall.
Exhibitions 21-23 August
- The Eden Project Exhibition/installations with an opening at the Leonardo 50th anniversary meal on the 22nd.
- Ocean Studios exhibition.
- Roland Levinsky Building and The House, Plymouth University campus – performances, installations and screenings.
- Fulldome screenings, events and presentations in the Immersive Vision Theatre at Plymouth University, in collaboration with Fulldome UK.
- Public screening on the Plymouth City Centre Big Screen.
Please visit the University eStore (Registration tab) for ticket options for this event. The last booking date is 6 August 2017.
- to Plymouth – various locations
Recommended by UCAS for students to include in their personal statements for university applications, participants learn the skills that employers value, joining more than 275,000 young people who have already been on the programme. The programme is delivered by a series of organisations across the UK over the summer.
Argyle Community Trust delivers the NCS programme to hundreds of youngsters across our region, and are now accepting applications for the summer of 2017.
NCS begins with a week of adventure with a wide range of exciting activities, such as paddle boarding, surfing, rock climbing, abseiling, kayaking, sailing and quarrysteering.Moving on from a week packed full of engaging outdoor activity, participants then take up residence at Plymouth College for a second week designed to prepare them for the opportunities available while living independently.
Participants will also take in a visit to Plymouth University that will include a campus tour and interactive activities as part of the day.
After the two week-long residential trips, each participant will learn valuable work-specific skills and qualifications during a planning week at Home Park Stadium. It is throughout this time each participant has the chance to improve their CV by gaining accreditations which will help them to deliver a local community Social Action Project (SAP).
The young volunteers will also carry out a 30 hours voluntary placement in their local community, using all the new skills and friendships they have made since the start of the project. Last year saw groups of young people redecorating local classrooms, delivering free football festivals for young children and serving up a three-course meal for local senior citizens.
The Argyle Community Trust are always looking out for enthusiastic and responsible people to extend their NCS experiences by becoming team leaders and assistant team leaders.
Contact Dwain Morgan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for further information.
Visit the NCS website to find out more about the programme.
Nancy Astor Sports Centre, Plymouth University
Managed by UPSU, the sports centre offers the biggest and best variety of classes, 11 of which are unique to the centre. Exercise classes are graded at high, moderate or low intensity.
Abs Blast: Moderate Intensity
- This class focuses on developing and defining the abdominal muscles and core muscles.
- The class involves using various equipment and mat work.
Aerobics: High Intensity
- A creative and energetic routine performed to music.
- Cardiovascular fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and co-ordination.
Belly Dancing: Moderate Intensity
- A full belly dancing class – full of energy!
Body Conditioning: High Intensity
- Designed to strengthen and tone, this class incorporates the use of studio equipment and a variety of body weight exercises.
- Muscular strength and endurance, and cardiovascular fitness.
- Ditch the workout and join the party with the fitness craze that is sweeping the world.
- We have recruited some of the top Zumba instructors in the area for this Latin inspired dance craze.
- One of the most popular classes and ideal for all fitness levels and abilities.
Fitball: Moderate Intensity
- Using stability balls, this class enhances core stability and central body control.
- A great workout that conditions the whole body.
- Core stability, and muscular strength and endurance.
Freestyle Fitness Yoga: Low Intensity
- Fuses elements of a traditional yoga with exercise physiology.
- Targets balance, core stability and flexibility.
Freestyle Pump: High Intensity
- Barbells and free weights are used in this muscular endurance exercise class.
- Targets muscular strength and endurance.
Kettlercise: High Intensity®
- THE single most effective Kettlebell fat burning workout designed to shape and sculpt your body for rapid fat loss and a lean toned body.
- Fun and effective, this is a stimulating, invigorating, safe and easy-to-follow, kettlebell inspired, calorie blitzing, fat blasting programme and people everywhere are loving the lightning quick RESULTS!
Legs, Bums and Tums: Moderate Intensity
- Get a firmer bum, tum and leaner legs by attending our ‘Legs, Bums and Tums’ workouts.
Low Impact Workout: Low Intensity
- Focusing on gentle exercise to tone and sculpt the body.
- Kind on the joints and great to ease back into exercise.
Pilates: Low Intensity
- A unique exercise form that focuses upon developing the ‘core’ muscles, improving posture and increasing body awareness.
- Targets core stability, posture, muscular strength and endurance.
Sculpt & Sweat: High Intensity
- All over body workout, incorporating resistance work, cardio training and interval training.
- This class is unique to the sports centre.
Spin: High Intensity
- A high energy cardiovascular workout to music on static studio bikes.
- Targets cardiovascular fitness and ideal for all fitness levels and abilities.
Spin &Strength: High Intensity
- An hour interval workout mixing indoor cycling and weights work.
- Be prepared to work hard and have fun!
- Unique to the sports centre.
Step Aerobics: Moderate Intensity
- A variation of the aerobics class that utilises step platforms.
- Cardiovascular fitness and co-ordination.
Contact 01752 588510 or email: email@example.com.