Oxford Brookes University TEF
Oxford Brookes recognised for “high quality teaching, learning and outcomes” in Teaching Excellence Framework.
Oxford Brookes University has received a silver award in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF).
The TEF has been introduced by the UK Government to “recognise and reward excellent learning and teaching at universities”.
Based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the University delivers “high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.”
Oxford Brookes has a strong reputation for inspirational teaching and already outperforms the sector for student satisfaction. The University is delivering sector-leading teaching, learning and assessment complemented by outstanding support and resources on a daily basis.
The TEF award recognises that “students achieve excellent outcomes” and the “outstanding levels of satisfaction with teaching and assessment and feedback” at Oxford Brookes. The TEF also noted:
- “a strategic focus on excellent teaching quality including research informed teaching
- “high levels of investment in physical and digital resources which are valued by students
- “excellent use of data, which informs academic support
- “developments in learning and teaching consistently informed by the student voice
- “a focus on teaching qualifications for academic staff, which is highly valued by staff”.
“We place an exceptional student experience at the heart of everything we do and remain committed to providing learning, teaching and support which is at the leading edge. Essential to this is a student-centred approach and our award therefore recognises our excellent students too as they are so important in helping to shape the learning and support environment.
“Those studying at the University in the future will know they are joining a community which delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes. The University will be looking to see how it can further improve its teaching excellence with a view to gaining a Gold award in future years.”
This year’s TEF considered teaching excellence across three main aspects: teaching quality; learning environment; and student outcomes and learning gain.
Areas of particular strength demonstrated by Oxford Brookes in its submission included:
- our exceptional and engaging teaching staff
- our teaching being informed by leading researchers and academics who are international experts in their fields. 94% of the University’s research judged to be “internationally recognised
- our approach to curriculum design which has been adopted by universities across the globe
- our sector-leading Programme to Enhance the Student Experience in which staff from across the University collaborate on eight innovative project
- our emphasis on co-curricular activities with opportunities including the innovative Oxford Brookes Social Entrepreneur Awards
- our significant work in Widening Participation such as our award-winning Brookes Bridges programme and leading on the Study Higher initiative which was recently awarded £3.4m to encourage disadvantaged young people into Higher Education
- our investment in inspirational and innovative learning environments such as our award-winning £132m John Henry Brookes Building which opened in 2014 and our ten-year plan to invest a further £220m in our estate.
Further information on inspiration teaching at Oxford Brookes can be found on the University’s webpages.