Oxford Brookes University PGCE Early Years
PGCE Primary (campus based) 3-7
Trainees who successfully complete the course, including success in the prescribed QTS skills tests, will be confirmed by the National College of Teaching and Leadership as newly qualified teachers.
This one-year full time primary education PGCE course provides you with the professional skills required to become an effective classroom practitioner able to teach primary school children aged 3 – 7 years. You will qualify with Qualified Teacher Status.
Although there is no deadline for applications we recommend that you apply as early as possible as places for postgraduate teacher training are highly competitive. Early application is especially advised if you live locally and would like to work in our partnership schools.
See also PGCE Primary (campus based) 5-11.
We hold regular Open Days throughout the year. Please come along and talk to lecturers and students about the course.
Why this course?
- You will gain the professional attributes, knowledge, understanding and skills required to become an effective classroom practitioner. The course content is based on a reflective and critical approach to theory, policy and practice, through university-based teaching sessions and school-based professional training.
- The 2010 full Ofsted inspection graded Oxford Brookes’ primary teaching courses as ‘outstanding’, the highest rating possible.
- A key element of the training consists of substantial periods of practical placement across the age ranges. With the support of a school mentor and university tutor you will integrate the professional knowledge and understanding developed through university taught sessions with school based learning and through practical application enable the development of professional skills in teaching.
- The School of Education at Oxford Brookes is one of the largest schools of education in the UK, combining high quality teaching and significant research and consultancy activity.
- We work in close partnership with hundreds of schools and colleges and other organisations.
- You will be working with highly regarded academics who are at the forefront of their subjects. Drawing on our research-led teaching, our courses will advance your knowledge and develop your professional skills.