Oxford Brookes University Online
About Brookes Open Online courses
Brookes’ Open Online Courses are complete courses; they are not just a ‘taster’ video, or a set of web pages with articles to read. These Open Online Courses last from four to six weeks, during which time you will have the chance to participate in a range of learning activities, and the courses have defined aims and outcomes related to a wider context.
The courses all offer evidence of achievement at the end: this may be a certificate of attendance, a series of badges marking your participation in specified activities, or (if the course is accredited and you have paid the fee and done the assessment), an accredited certificate of higher education.
Tutors plan Brookes’ Open Online Courses around a combination of resources and activities, and tutors also actively participate in the course activities, so you will have the chance to interact with experts in the field, and to receive feedback from them on your developing ideas.
Brookes’ Open Online Course activity will extend engagement through dialogue with others and include some element of peer evaluation.
Brookes’ Open Online Course Principles
Brookes’ open online courses are based on a set of underlying principles. These courses are:
- Activity-based: we do or make things in groups or communities, using online tools
- Experiential, practitioner-centred: tutors and participants alike draw on their own experience, and evaluate their own learning
- Dialogic: we talk to each other, both synchronously (real time, for example in webinars) and asynchronously (for example in discussion boards)
- [reflective point is covered in the experiential point in this layfolk version]
- Participatory: tutors are present and engaged with participants
- Located in the community: courses link to discipline communities and to relevant communities in work, society, etc.
- Outcomes-led: courses are structured around a defined curriculum and aims.
To read more about the research on online learning which informs our approach, see the page on our development process.