The Open University Access Courses
Preparing for study with an Access module
It doesn’t matter where you start from, it’s where you want to be and how determined you are to get there that counts.
- Will this be your first taste of university?
- Do you want to improve your confidence and brush up on your study skills?
If your answer is ‘yes’ to any of these questions then an Access module could be right for you, and you could be eligible to study for free!
What is an Access module?
Access modules provide the perfect introduction to distance learning and university-level study. Our study materials are designed to help refresh your learning skills and build your self-confidence.
You’ll complete your Access module over 30 weeks, studying for around nine hours a week. You’ll get:
- personal tutor support with one-to-one telephone tutorials.
- a dedicated team to support you through your studies.
- detailed written feedback.
- an OU Access Module Certificate when you complete your course.
Our Access modules
Arts and languages
An introduction to art history, English literature, English language studies, history, modern languages, creative writing and religious studies.
People, work and society
Explore a wide range of subject areas, including children and young people, health, law, management, psychology and social science.
Science, technology and maths
Develop your knowledge of science, engineering and design, environment, mathematics and computing and IT.
Access modules start in October and February each year. They are studied over a period of 30 weeks and you should expect to spend approximately 9 hours per week on your studies.
You may be able to study an Access module for FREE.
In order to qualify you must:
- be resident in the UK (or have a BFPO address)
- register for an Access module as an additional preparatory stage towards an OU qualification (except in Scotland)
- have a household income (personal income if resident in Scotland) of less than £25,000 (or be in receipt of qualifying benefits)
- have no previous experience of study with The Open University
- have not completed a higher education qualification at NQF level 4 or above
For more information visit www.openuniversity.co.uk/ug-access or call our Student Recruitment on
0300 303 00693.