Northumbria University Turnitin
Turnitin is text matching software which is used by Northumbria University to help combat plagiarism. Each piece of work submitted to Turnitin generates an Originality Report which shows the percentage of the work that has been identified as matching with other sources.
Turnitin may be set up by your tutor in one of two ways:
- Formatively, to help in the teaching of good practice in academic writing. Your tutor may ask you to submit a draft of your assignment to Turnitin and to look at your own Originality Report and review your use of quotations, citations and references.
- Summatively, for checking the originality of submitted work. Usually you will not be permitted to view the originality report for summative submissions.
Here’s how to submit your work to Turnitin. For information on how to view and interpret an Originality Report and how to pick up your mark for an assignment that has been marked using GradeMark, Turnitin’s marking tool, see the guidance further down this page).
Quick Start Guide
- From the eLearning Portal Home tab, click on the link to your course.
- Click on the link to the content area where your tutor has posted the assignment.
- Click the View/Complete link below the assignment title. This will bring you to the Class Homepage where the Start, Due and Post Dates for this assignment will be visible. The Post Date will always be shown but will only be relevant if your tutor is using Turnitin for posting marks and feedback, in which case it is the date when these will be released.
- Click the Submit button.
- Enter a submission title.
- Click the Browse button and select the file you want to submit, then click the Upload button.
- You will see a preview of the file you are submitting. Check that this is the correct file then click Submit.
- You will see a digital receipt confirming that your submission has been successful. The receipt includes a paper ID number which you should keep for reference. You will also receive an email confirmation of receipt.
Problems viewing the Originality Report?
- If the square under the Similarity heading appears greyed out, this means the report has not been generated yet. Try right clicking on the page and choosing ‘refresh’ from the shortcut menu. If the report still isn’t ready you may need to try again later.
- Make sure you are clicking on the percentage/coloured square under the Similarity heading and not on the View button, which is intended for viewing GradeMark papers.
- Some assignments allow more than one submission. If this a resubmission, you will have to wait 24 hours before you will be able to open the report.
Printable Help Guides (PDF Format)
Online Help Guides