Northumbria University Degree Apprenticeships
The BSc Digital and Technology Solutions is an innovative new course designed to create confident, competent and capable IT graduates. Developed in collaboration with and accredited by the Tech Partnership, this programme seeks to address the skills gap in the UK information technology sector by combining vocational skills developed in the workplace with cutting-edge knowledge and expertise provided by Northumbria University.
How does it work
The programme runs over four years. Your organisation will employ the apprentices on a full-time basis and release them one day each week to study at Northumbria University.
Apprentices study a diverse curriculum based on a blend of technology, business and professional skills. The programme has specialist routes through it, such as software engineering. Employers are able to tailor the programme material depending on the role of the apprentice in the organisation.
Our degree based apprenticeship at Northumbria University is great for both HMRC and for our apprentices. We support their development in the workplace while they study towards a degree. We give them the opportunity to get technical knowledge and experience while they bring techical knowledge and enthusiasm into our digital centre.
Simon Robson, Talent Manager, HMRC Digital Delivery Centre Newcastle
This degree apprenticeship has been assessed as meeting the employer-relevant standards defined by the Tech Partnership and recognised with Tech Industry Gold accreditation. This mark of quality ensures that learners will receive the best possible development opportunity.
- Bring graduate-level digital and IT expertise into your organisation and develop a pool of highly skilled employees.
- Attract fresh talent to your business with an appealing offer of a job and salary from day one, no fees or debt and a full degree.
- Access government funding to provide staff with a recognised and relevant academic qualification.
- Assessments can be based on the context and activity of your organisation, leading to increased organisational understanding and performance by the apprentice.
- Develop a working relationship with Northumbria University and find out about the many other ways we can help your business, including consultancy, research and development and professional development for your staff.
How the finances work
The Government will pay 2/3 of the cost of the tuition fees, currently £27,000 for the full four-year programme. The employer will be responsible for paying the other third, plus the apprenticeship salary. There are currently a number of Government financial incentives available which can further reduce the cost to your business, including:
- £2700 for an SME with fewer than 50 employees
- £2700 for successful completion of an apprenticeship
Northumbria can support the design and implementation of your recruitment process, for example by arranging interviews and assessment days for applicants. Applicants will need to meet Northumbria’s entry requirements for the programme, which include 120 UCAS tariff points – the equivalent of approximately three B’s at A level. We can also take into account any other qualifications and work experience. Assuming the candidates meet our requirements you will have complete control over who you choose to employ.
Get in touch
If the opportunity to develop and upskill your workforce sounds interesting, we would love you to get in touch so that we can discuss your options.
Tel: 0191 243 7262