Lancaster University Disability

Lancaster University logo

Lancaster University Disability

Lancaster University Disability

Disability Services

‌‌Many students have medical conditions or impairments that can impact upon University life. If you have a condition that is classified as a disability, the Disability Service can help put in place various forms of support.

You don’t have to accept the label ‘disability’, but it can be used as a way to get support: you may even be eligible to apply for funding. ‘Disclosure’ of disability is a key part of the process of ensuring appropriate support and equality. You will need to provide some medical evidence and the Disability Service can advise you about this process.


Lancaster University Assessment Centre

The Assessment Centre provides Study Needs Assessments to students across the UK for Disabled Students’ Allowances.

Study Needs Assessment

Find out more about the DSA assessment process


How to get in touch with us to book an Assessment of Needs

How to find us

Directions and maps for getting to Lancaster University Assessment Centre

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) including dyslexia

Specific Learning Difficulties (SpLDs) including dyslexia

The majority of students at Lancaster University with a declared disability have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD) such as dyslexia. This information is for students who have or suspect they may have a SpLD


If you have not been formally diagnosed, but think you may have a specific learning difficulty (SpLD), there are a number of options open to you:

  1. Take the QuickScan test
    This is an online test in which you answer a series of questions. It takes about 15 minutes and, although it is subjective, can be a useful guide to show if you have indicators for a SpLD. This is not a formal diagnosis, however, and would be insufficient evidence for receiving study-related support. To take the test you will need to be a registered student (as you have to log in via the Moodle Virtual Learning Environment). For more information on how to access the test, please refer to our QuickScan student instructions.
  2. Speak to a Disability Adviser
    You may wish to speak to a Disability Adviser who can discuss your difficulties and family history to best advise you of your options. To book an appointment, please call us on: 01524 592111.

  3. Assessment with an Educational Psychologist
    There are appointments available on campus every week during term-time with professional educational psychologists. These last approximately an hour and a half. As a student, you will be expected to pay 30% towards the cost of this, with the University paying the remaining 70%.
    Please note: Failure to attend or cancel with more than 24 hours notice may result in you still being charged.


  • Visit our services pages for information on the support available to disabled students at the University.
  • If you would like to find out more about SpLDs, we have produced some definitions for staff at Lancaster University.
  • We have also set up an inclusive teaching section, outlining guidance to staff to help make courses as accessible as possible for all students.