King’s College London Guy’s Campus

King’s College London logo

King’s College London Guy’s Campus

King’s College London Guy’s Campus

Guy’s Campus

Engraving of Guy’s campus entrance, by James Elmes and William Woolnoth in 1799

Guy’s Campus is situated close to London Bridge and the Shard on the South Bank of the Thames and is home to the School of Biomedical Sciences (also at the Waterloo Campus), the Dental Institute and the School of Medicine.

Thomas Guy, the founder and benefactor of Guy’s Hospital established in 1726 in the London Borough of Southwark, was a wealthy bookseller and also a governor of the nearby St Thomas’ Hospital. He lies buried in the vault beneath the eighteenth-century chapel at Guy’s. Silk-merchant William Hunt was a later benefactor who gave money in the early nineteenth century to build Hunt’s House. The original Hunt’s House was closed due to war damage, and was eventually demolished as part of campus development. Today this is the site of New Hunt’s House, which was opened in September 1999 following the merger of UMDS and King’s. The Henriette Raphael building, constructed in 1902, and the Gordon Museum are also located here. In addition, the Hodgkin building, Shepherd’s House and Guy’s chapel are prominent buildings within the campus. The Students’ Union centre at Guy’s is situated in Boland House. Guy’s Campus is located opposite the Old Operating Theatre Museum, which was part of old St Thomas Hospital in Southwark.

The nearest Underground stations are London Bridge and Borough.

Guy’s Chapel

The Grade II* listed Guy’s Chapel is one of the oldest parts of the original hospital. It was finished in 1780 and features Victorian stained glass windows and mosaic murals. The chapel is in the centre block of the west wing of the original Guy’s Hospital. There is a white marble monument to Thomas Guy by John Bacon inside the main door of the chapel. The monument was erected in 1779, and is set in a semicircular-arched surround made of green marble.The chapel houses the tomb of Thomas Guy, and is the resting place of English surgeon and anatomist Sir Astley Cooper.The coffin-shaped stone tomb of Guy where his remains rest is located in the crypt beneath the chapel. The chapel also contains memorials to hospital’s benefactors and members of the hospital staff.

The Colonnade

The Colonnade and Western courtyard with the statue of Viscount Nuffield

The Colonnade is also part of the original Guy’s Hospital. It was built with two courtyards on either side. A round-hooded Portland stone alcove with a figure sitting inside is located at the eastern courtyard of the Colonnade. The alcove was originally part of, and is one of the surviving fragments of the old London Bridge that was demolished in 1831. The alcove was brought to the hospital in 1861, and was re-erected within the eastern internal court in 1926.The alcove now houses the statue of John Keats, an English Romantic poet who studied at Guy’s Hospital from 1815 to 1816 to become an apothecary. The statue displayed at the western courtyard on the other side of the Colonnade is that of William Morris, 1st Viscount Nuffield, another benefactor of Guy’s Hospital. The front courtyard, named the General Court, was later built in 1738, and the part of the Georgian complex was completed in 1780. A brass statue of Thomas Guy by Peter Scheemakers stands in the centre of the General Court, upon a pedestal with bas-reliefs of “Christ Healing the Sick” and the “Good Samaritan”.

Guy’s Campus

King's College London's Guy's Campus
Addresses and telephone numbers

Great Dover Street Apartments
165 Great Dover Street
London
SE1 4XA
Access for people with disabilities: Apartments 1-4,
Apartments 5-8, Apartments 9-10
+44 (0)20 7407 0068
Guy’s Hospital
St Thomas Street
London
SE1 9RT
+44 (0)20 7188 7188
Wolfson House
49 Weston Street London
SE1 3RB
Access for people with disabilities
+44 (0)20 7955 4174
New Hunt’s House
Guy’s Campus
London
SE1 1UL
Access for people with disabilities
+44 (0)20 7848 6004

How to get to Guy’s Campus

By underground

London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines): 1 minute walk, Borough (Northern Line):10 minute walk, Elephant and Castle (Bakerloo Line): 25 minute walk, Bank/Monument (Northern Line):20 minute walk, Monument (District and Circle Lines):15 minute walk.

By train

London Bridge (Northern and Jubilee Lines): 1 minute walk, Waterloo (Northern, Bakerloo, Jubilee, Waterloo & City Lines): 30 minute walk.

By bus

Buses stopping in Tooley Street: 47. Buses stopping at London Bridge Station: 21 (24 hour), 43 (24 hour), 48, 149 (24 hour), 343 (24 hour), 381, N381, 521. Buses stopping at Borough High Street: 21 (24 hour), 35 (24 hour), 40, 47, 133 (24 hour).

A shuttle bus service is available for staff and students (carrying their college ID) wishing to travel between the Guy’s and St Thomas’ hospital sites, the latter also being within walking distance of Waterloo and the Strand. The pick-up and drop-off points are:

  • at St Thomas’, the lower-ground car park opposite the Florence Nightingale Museum
  • at Guy’s Campus, on Great Maze Pond on the lay-by to the Bloomfield Clinic.

By boat – commuter river service

From the east, Woolwich Arsenal – Savoy: get off at London Bridge City Pier.

Parking

There is limited pay and display car park at the Guy’s Campus, and Western Street, St Thomas Street and Snowsfield.

Bicycle stands

The Campus has two secure bike parks available for staff and students with access activated on their university ID card.

Hodgkin Building Secure Bike Park – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Nag’s Head Yard Secure Bike Park  – 07.00-19.00, Monday to Friday (the bike park is locked outside these hours).

Travelling from other campuses to the Guy’s Campus

On foot By bus By tube or train
From the Strand Campus 35 minute walk: walk down Surrey Street into Temple Place, along Victoria Embankment and cross Blackfriars Bridge. Walk along Blackfriars Road and turn left in to Southwark Street, crossing Southwark Bridge Road. Shortly after joining Borough High Street, turn right in to St Thomas’ Street. From Temple take the District or Circle line to Monument, then catch the 35, 40, 47 or 149 bus to London Bridge. Bus stops near the Strand Campus. From Temple take the District line to Westminster, and then take the Jubilee line to London Bridge.
From Denmark Hill Campus  n/a From Denmark Hill station take the 40 bus. Bus stops near Denmark Hill Campus. From Denmark Hill take the Southeastern service towards London Bridge.
From Waterloo Campus From the Franklin-Wilkins Building on Stamford Street walk away from the IMAX Cinema towards Blackfriars Bridge. Cross Blackfriars Road and walk down Southwark Street, crossing Southwark Bridge Road. Shortly after joining Borough High Street, turn right in to St Thomas’ Street. Take the 381 bus from Stamford Street to London Bridge. Bus stops near Waterloo Campus. From Waterloo take the Jubilee line to London Bridge.
From St Thomas’ Campus From St Thomas’ Hospital turn left into Lambeth Palace Road, then right in to Westminster Bridge Road. Take the second left in to Baylis Road. Cross Waterloo Road and continue down The Cut. Cross Blackfriars Road and continue along Union Street. Cross Southwark Bridge Street and take the third left in to Borough High Street. Turn right in to St Thomas’ Street. Take the 77 or 507 to Waterloo and then take the 381.. Cross Westminster Bridge to Westminster Station, then take the Jubilee Line to London Bridge.

Guy’s Campus detail map

map of Guy's Campus