King’s College London Faculties and Departments
King’s College London Faculties and Departments
Faculties and departments
In the 19th century, King’s College London had five departments: Theological, General Literature and Science, Applied Sciences, Medical and Military. The Theological Department provided studies in ecclesiastical history, pastoral theology and Exegesis of testaments.Languages and literature, history, law and jurisprudence, political economy, commerce, fencing, mathematics, zoology and natural history were taught within the Department of General Literature and Science, and natural philosophy, geology, mineralogy and arts-related subjects were taught within the Department of Applied Sciences.
Currently, King’s is made up of eight academic faculties, which are subdivided into departments, centres and research divisions. In 2017, these will be joined by a ninth with the opening of King’s Business School in Bush House.
Faculty of Arts and Humanities
The Faculty of Arts and Humanities is an academic faculty of King’s. It was formed in 1989 following the amalgamation of the faculties of Arts, Music and Theology. The faculty encompasses traditional disciplinary subjects, as well as less-common subjects such as Hellenic, Portuguese and Medieval Studies, and emerging disciplines such as Digital Humanities and Queer Studies.
The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) is administered through King’s, and its students graduate alongside members of the departments which form the Faculty of Arts and Humanities. As RADA does not have degree awarding powers, its courses are validated by King’s.
The Dental Institute is the dental school of King’s. The institute focuses on understanding disease, enhancing health and restoring function.The institute is the successor of Guy’s Hospital Dental School, King’s College Hospital Dental School, Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery, and the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals. It was a part of King’s School of Medicine and Dentistry until 2005, when the dental school became the Dental Institute.
In 1799 Joseph Fox started to give a series of lectures on dental surgery at Guy’s Hospital, and was appointed dental surgeon in the same year. Thomas Bell succeeded Fox as dental surgeon either in 1817 or 1825.Frederick Newland Pedley, who was appointed assistant dental surgeon at Guy’s Hospital in 1885, advocated the establishment of a dental school within the hospital, and he flooded the two dental schools in London, the Metropolitan School of Dental Science and the London School of Dental Surgery, with patients to prove that a further hospital was needed. In December 1888, Guy’s Hospital Dental School was established. Guy’s Hospital Dental School was recognised as a school of the University of London in 1901. In the 1970s, since there was a decline in the demand for dental services, the Department of Health of the UK suggested that there should be a decrease in the number of dental undergraduate students as well as the duration of all courses. In response to the recommendations, Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery amalgamated with the Guy’s Hospital Dental School of the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals on 1 August 1983.
The establishment of King’s College Hospital Dental School was proposed by Viscount Hambleden at a Hospital Management Committee meeting on 12 April 1923. The dental school was opened on 12 November 1923 in King’s College Hospital. Under the 1948 National Health Act, King’s Medical and Dental School split from King’s and became an independent school, but the school remerged with King’s in 1983. The school further merged with the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy’s and St Thomas’ Hospitals in 1998.
Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine
The King’s Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine was created as a result of the merger of the School of Medicine with the School of Biomedical Sciences in 2014. There are two schools of education in the Faculty of Life Sciences and Medicine. The GKT School of Medical Education is responsible for the medical education and training of students on the MBBS programme, and the School of Bioscience Education is responsible for the biomedical and health professions education and training. The faculty is divided into 18 academic divisions, including Cancer Studies, Cicely Saunders Institute of Palliative Care, Medical Education and Randall Division of Cell and Molecular Biophysics. Formerly divisions of the School of Biomedical Sciences, the MRC Centre for Developmental Neurobiology and Wolfson Centre for Age-Related Diseases have moved to the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience in 2014.
Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience
Formerly known as the Institute of Psychiatry (IoP), the Institute of Psychiatry, Psychology and Neuroscience (IoPPN) is a school of King’s and a research institution dedicated to discovering what causes mental illness and diseases of the brain, and to help identify new treatments of the diseases. The institute is the largest centre for research and postgraduate education in psychiatry, psychology and neuroscience in Europe. Originally established in 1924 as the Maudsley Hospital Medical School, the institute changed its name to the Institute of Psychiatry in 1948, merged with King’s College London in 1997, and was renamed IoPPN in 2014.
The Dickson Poon School of Law
Previously known as King’s College London School of Law, the Dickson Poon School of Law is the law school of King’s. The Dickson Poon School of Law at King’s College London has been ranking top of the UK for world leading research above Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and LSE since 2014. The school includes various research centres and groups which serve as focal points for research activity, including the Centre of European Law (established in 1974), Centre of Medical Law and Ethics (established in 1978), Centre of British Constitutional Law and History (established in 1988), Centre of Construction Law, Centre for Technology, Ethics and Law in Society, Centre for Politics, Philosophy and Law, Transnational Law Institute and Trust Law Committee. Law has been taught at King’s since 1831 and it was taught within the Senior Department, the Department of General Literature and Science in 1839, then the Faculty of Arts in 1893. The Faculty of Laws was founded in 1909 and became the School of Law in 1991.
Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences
Following the reorganisation of the King’s School of Physical Sciences and Engineering in 2010, the Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences was established. The faculty provides education and research in chemistry, informatics, physics, mathematics and telecommunications. Physics and Mathematics has been studied at the university since 1829 and 1830 respectively, and there are six Nobel laureates who were either students or academic staff of the faculty.
Chemistry has been taught at King’s since its foundation in 1829, and Copley medallist John Frederic Daniell was appointed the first professor. The Department of Chemistry was forced to close in 2003 due to a decline in student numbers and reduced funding. In 2012, a new Department of Chemistry was established and a new undergraduate degree, Chemistry with Biomedicine, was launched. The new department covers traditional areas of chemistry (organic, inorganic, physical and computational chemistry) and other academic discipline including cell biology and physics. King’s Department of Engineering was established in 1838, making it arguably the oldest school of engineering in England. The Department of Engineering was the largest engineering school in the UK in 1893, and engineering students were taught by prominent scientists including James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Wheatstone and Sir William Siemens. The Division of Engineering was closed in 2013.
The 1920s were a significant period for the Faculty of Natural and Mathematical Sciences. In 1921, Albert Einstein visited King’s and delivered a lecture on the topic ‘The Development and Present Position of the Theory of Relativity’.Einstein referred in the lecture to the work of King’s Professor of Natural Philosophy James Clerk Maxwell.
Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery
The Florence Nightingale Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery is one of the largest schools in King’s. It primarily concerned with the education of people to become nurses and midwives, but also carries out nursing research and provides continuing professional development and postgraduate programmes. Formerly known as the Nightingale Training School and Home for Nurses, the faculty was established by Florence Nightingale in 1860, and is the first nursing school in the world to be continuously connected to a fully serving hospital and medical school.
The Nightingale Training School was amalgamated in 1996 with the Olive Haydon School of Midwifery and the Thomas Guy and Lewisham School of Nursing, and all staff and students were integrated at King’s by 1996.
Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy
The Faculty of Social Science and Public Policy was established in 2001, and is one of the largest university centres focusing on policy-oriented research in the UK. Following restructuring in 2016, it is split into four schools:
- School of Politics & Economics (European & International Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, Political Economy, Russia Institute)
- School of Education, Communication & Society
- School of Global Affairs (Geography, Global Health & Medicine, International Development, Brazil Institute, India Institute, Lau China Institute)
- School of Security Studies (Department of Defence Studies, Department of War Studies)
The Department of War Studies is unique in the UK and is supported by research facilities such as the King’s Centre for Strategic Communications, Liddell Hart Centre for Military Archives and the King’s Centre for Military Health Research (KCMHR).
Set up in 2002, the King’s Centre for Risk Management (KCRM) holds international research relating to risk management, governance and communication, and supports various projects, conferences and academic fellowships, facilitating in translating risk research into relevant and practical policy solutions.
The faculty also houses the African Leadership Centre, Institute for Contemporary British History, and London Asia Pacific Centre for Social Science.
Switchboard (general enquiries)
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7836 5454
Please be sure to include the recipient’s name and department in the address.
King’s College London