Keele University Parking

Keele University logoKeele University Parking

Staff Parking

The type of permit available to you will depend on whether you are on the University payroll (ie you are paid every month by the University) or if you are non-payroll (ie you may be a sessional lecturer or you work for an agency).

Staff may apply for a parking permit which authorises parking on specified staff car parks (Zone C).

Payroll Staff

Permits are obtainable on application from the Chancellor’s Reception desk and are payable by a deduction from salary.

Payroll Staff

If you are paid by the University every month, then you are eligible to apply for a campus parking permit.  Please print and complete the Payroll Staff Permit Application 2017/18 and take it to University Reception in Chancellor’s Building, where you will be issued with a permit that you can use in any staff car park.  A map of staff car parks is available on these parking web pages.  If you park on campus roads, on the pavements or verges or in a non-staff car park, you may be issued with an enforcement notice even if you are displaying your staff parking permit.

Non-Payroll Staff

You are eligible for a staff vehicle permit, even if you are not on the University’s payroll if:

  1. You are a Postgraduate Research student,
  2. You work at Keele as a casual or sessional member of staff
  3. You work on campus but are not directly employed by Keele University e.g. agency staff, bank or shop staff.

If you would like a permit, please print and complete the form below.  You will then need to ask your head of department to sign to confirm that you are NOT on the University’s payroll.  When this is done, take the form to University Reception in Chancellor’s Building together with your payment.  You will then be issued with a permit.

Student Parking

Undergraduate and postgraduate-taught students who wish to bring their cars onto campus and park on student car parks have to apply for a parking permit, and the University now operates a needs based assessment process to consider their applications. This assesses and scores each student application against various criteria, including: any disability, course details, caring responsibilities, employment, precise location of term-time residence/difficulty of public transport journey onto campus, etc.

This is as fair a process as is possible, and is recognised good practice within the University sector. There is an appeals process in place should students feel that their individual circumstances present an exceptional case that will be reviewed by a panel that includes student, welfare and disability representation.

A zone based system is in operation covering student permits, which requires applicants to identify their preferred car park area on the application system. The main student parking zones are at Barnes, Horwood, Lindsay, Holly Cross/Oaks and the Sports Centre (and for residents at Hawthorns only a small number of spaces in the Hawthorns zone).

There is no guarantee that applicants will be successful in obtaining a permit for their zone of preference, and permits provide a right to park in approved zones, only if spaces exist – there is no guarantee of parking availability. An overflow car park has been created at Hawthorn’s to cover this eventuality for both students and staff, however this is about 10 minutes walk from the central area of campus, or a short 50p bus journey away.

The cost of a student permit has been standardised across all student zones, and for the year 2016/17 is £100, renewable and reviewed/assessed annually. Whilst this is an increase from the graduated cost for a student permit last year, this remains well below the average annual charge for student parking within the University sector.

A Frequently Asked Questions section for students is being compiled which will provide a fuller explanation of costs and expenditure from car parking revenue along with other common queries and this will be included on this webpage shortly.