Keele University of Medicine

Keele University logoKeele University of Medicine

Keele Medical School is a medical school based on campus at Keele University near Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, England. The first two years of the school’s MBChB course are taught mainly on Keele University campus although early exposure to patients is of importance and in the second year there is considerable interaction in a clinical setting.

Years three to five, however, are principally taught within the Royal Stoke University Hospital in Stoke-on-Trent and the County Hospital (both part of University Hospitals North Midlands Trust), at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Shrewsbury and Telford Hospital NHS Trust, North Staffordshire Combined Healthcare NHS Trust and South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. Medical students also have placements in general practices in Staffordshire and Shropshire.

The school originally accepted about 120 UK/EU and 10 non-EU medical students each year for the 5-year MBChB course and 10 UK/EU/non-EU students for the 6-year course. From 2011 the total accepted increased to about 150 from all sources. This number may vary depending on NHS requirements and funding.

 

Keele University, officially known as the University of Keele, is a public research university located about 3 miles (5 km) from Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, England. Keele was granted university status by Royal Charter in 1962 and was founded in 1949 as the University College of North Staffordshire. Keele is the 24th oldest university in the UK List of UK universities by date of foundation, and highest research-ranked university in Staffordshire.

A science park and a conference centre complements the academic buildings, making it the largest campus university in the UK. The university’s School of Medicine operates the clinical part of its courses from a separate campus at the Royal Stoke University Hospital with the School of Nursing and Midwifery is based at the nearby Clinical Education Centre.

Keele University of Medicine

The university occupies a 620-acre (250 ha) rural campus close to the village of Keele and consists of extensive woods, lakes and Keele Hall set in historic Staffordshire Potteries heartland. The estate was originally given by King Henry II of England to the Knights Templars, AD 1180. When the Templars were condemned and dissolved by the Council of Vienne in the time of Pope Clement V AD 1311, their possessions were annexed by the Knights Hospitallers until their dissolution by Henry VIII. The estate was purchased from the Crown by the Sneyd family and remained in their property until acquisition by the Stoke-on-Trent Corporation in 1948.0