Keele University Darwin Building

By | 19th June 2017

Keele University logoKeele University Darwin Building

The Darwin Building was completed in 1991 to a design by Green Campbell Wainwright and was opened by Sir Roy Griffiths in December 1992. It was the second stage of Keele’s Science Park development to be opened after the Stephenson Building.

Naturalist Charles Darwin was a frequent visitor to North Staffordshire and married his cousin Emma Wedgwood at St Peter’s Church in nearby Maer on 29 January 1839. His early thoughts on earthworms evolved in the grounds of Emma’s family home Maer Hall and he is said to have spent many hours walking in the surrounding hills.

His grandfathers, physician and thinker Erasmus Darwin and potter Josiah Wedgwood, were prominent members of Staffordshire society. Josiah Wedgwood V, the potter’s great-great-great-grandson, was a founder member of the University’s Council and Court of Governors, and is commemorated by an avenue of 20 silver willows close to the Darwin Building.

History in Keele Buildings

Names matter – and the names of our buildings carry great significance for Keele. Some facilities are named after benefactors and donors but our buildings are named after people who have a special association with the founding or evolution of Keele, or of the Keele estate

We gratefully acknowledge the information and research in John Kolbert’s “Keele; the first fifty years” (Melandrium Books) and Michael Paffard’s “Keele: An introduction to the Parish and the University” which are indispensable to an understanding of Keele and for this compilation of History in Keele Buildings.