Keele University Campus
Set in the North Staffordshire countryside, Keele’s campus is rural with many 19th-century architectural features such as Keele Hall predating the concrete and red-brick buildings of the modern university. Keele is close to Newcastle-under-Lyme, the nearest town and Hanley (which is the main centre of the City of Stoke-on-Trent). Stoke-on-Trent Train Station is 4.5 miles away and serves the campus via a regular bus service which takes circa 15 mins. By rail, Birmingham, Manchester, and Liverpool are about an hour,London 90 minutes and three to four hours by road. Hitchikers and lift-sharers can walk to the college from Keele services on the M6. Apart from increasing numbers of academic and residential buildings, other facilities include an astronomical observatory, art gallery, arboretum, Islamic centre, shops, cafés and places to eat and drink. The campus also has science, business enterprise parks and conference centres. It is also home to the Earth Science Education Unit (ESEU).
The chapel is located in the centre of the campus, close to the university library and student union. From the onset, Christian worship was central to University life. Lindsay, first principal of the University College, was an ardent Christian preaching every Sunday in the Library Reading room of Keele Hall. A permanent structure was required and the chapel came to fruition in 1965. Built from staffordshire blue brick, the chapel accommodates different Christian traditions.
Halls of residence
There are five halls of residence on the main campus: Horwood, Lindsay, Barnes, Holly Cross and The Oaks. Hawthorns Hall is located off site in Keele village just outside the main entrance. These halls provide accommodation for approximately 70% of all full-time students. 3 of the oldest halls, Horwood (1957), Lindsay (1964) and Barnes (1970) are named after the founding fathers of the university, the Oaks (1992), west of Lindsay Hall is named after 4 oak trees that were felled to pave the way for the university residence and Holly Cross (1993) after the Knights Templars which the ground once belonged to and clearly shaped in a cross. The Hawthorns (1957), remnants of the Sneyd property, in Keele Village, was originally a large house, 2 paddocks and gardens totalling 13 acres of land.
Following student demand for accommodation on-campus, by Christmas 2017, Barnes hall of residence will be re-developed with new residential units added and cater for an additional 453 bedrooms whilst the Hawthorns site will be released for house construction and sale on the open market. More ambitious, a new phase of expansion of student accommodation is expected by 2020 with refurbishment of existing and new stock (townhouses and cluster flats) with planning application to be submitted in autumn 2016. In a nutshell:
- Approximately 2,300 new high-quality, affordable rooms and the demolition of approximately 900 rooms that are beyond their usable life;
- A new social hub in each hall;
- A new dedicated postgraduate hub to replace the existing Keele Postgraduate Association (KPA) clubhouse;
- A new music and teaching facility;
- A new, larger medical centre with dedicated parking spaces to replace the existing GP facilities.
These changes will take place at Horwood, Lindsay and Barnes and increase the total accommodation on campus to circa 4,200 rooms distributed across all halls.