Institute of Education UCL Library
Institute of Education UCL Library
UCL Library Services consists of 18 libraries and learning spaces located across London, covering a wide range of specialist subjects ranging from bio-medicine and science to arts, architecture and archaeology, plus learning spaces in Senate House and the Graduate Hub. Our digital library is one of the best in the world, and we manage UCL Discovery, the institutional repository which enables the world to access our researchers’ work for free. We’ve also started the UK’s first completely open access university press, UCL Press. Together, UCL Library Services is at the heart of providing the information to support UCL’s academic excellence and research that addresses real-world problems, as set out in the UCL Research Strategy, Delivering a Culture of Wisdom. Read our Mission Statement.
What we do
- expert staff to help you get the most from UCL’s resources
- inspiring spaces for learning (individually and in groups)
- a vast and rich collection of books, e-resources and journals
- access to UCL Special Collections with treasures from UCL’s history at the forefront of scientific research
- a place to come together and share expertise
The specialist tools we’ve developed in bibliometrics and data management are helping researchers to exploit data as it becomes available at UCL and supporting UCL researchers to demonstrate the impact of their work.
Last year we had more than two million visits to our libraries, including visits from UCL staff and students, NHS staff and the general public. We also engage staff, students and external audiences through academic teaching sessions, exhibitions, special events, community and school links and social media.
- National Student Survey Satisfaction scores (88%)
- Over 6,000 linear metres of archives, rare books and manuscripts
- UCL Discovery has now passed ten million downloads from over 170 countries
- Times Higher Education Leadership Management Award (THELMA) nomination in 2016 for “Outstanding Library Service” and again in 2017 for Outstanding Digital Innovation and Outstanding Library Team.
- Green Impact Award winners
- Six NHS Trusts are supported by UCL Library Services
- Provision of an Open Access repository service for the NHS Trusts
- Introduction of a new course for PhD students co-organised by the Research Data Management team, Doctoral School and the Office of the Vice Provost (Research)
Find out more
Institute of Education Library
Address and contact details
- Address: Newsam Library and Archives, 20 Bedford Way, London WC1H 0AL
- Opening Hours
- Tel: 020 7612 6080
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @IOELibrary
- IOE LibAnswers
- IOE Library Guides
- Archive Catalogue
- Group Study Room Bookings
- eJournal Search
- Newsam News Blog
Subject coverage and guides
The Newsam Library and Archives holds extensive collections of current and historical materials on education and related areas of social science. Please see our IOE Library Guides for further information.
In addition to supporting the work of staff and students at the UCL Institute of Education, it welcomes enquiries from all scholars, researchers, and others in the community with an interest in education.
- The main education collection contains a copy of every book on education in English published in the UK, and a substantial range from elsewhere
- The journals collection – thousands of titles available electronically and in print
- A wide range of other electronic resources, such as databases, electronic books, documents and websites, linking to the very latest information
- 27 special collections and over 160 deposited archive collections, containing unique historical resources on education, and influential organisations and individuals working in the field
- The Curriculum Resources collection, displaying examples of schoolbooks and teaching materials for all levels and all school subjects
Our general contact details are: