Imperial College london h drive
Home directory (H: drive)
We allocate a certain amount of network file storage space to all students and members of staff, called a Home directory or H: drive. You can connect to your H: drive from any computer connected to the College network, via wireless, wired network or remotely. Data stored on H: drives is secure and backed up daily, so it is the recommended place to save important files.
Access your H: drive
Your H: drive is automatically available when using College computers on campus but if you want to access this drive from a device outside College, you will need to access the Imperial network remotely: Connect to (map) an H: drive when using VPN.
Use the instructions below for access on a Mac or personal Windows computer while inside College.
Mapping H drive
- Click Computer on the Start Menu.
- Click Map Network drive.
- Login to Home directory location to find the path name, e.g. \\icnas1.cc.ic.ac.uk\jbloggs.
- Select H in the box marked Drive.
- Enter your Home directory location in the box marked Folder.
- Select Connect using different credentials and enter your username in the format ic\yourusername and your College password, if you did not login to the computer with your College username and password.
- Login to Home directory location to find the path name, e.g. smb://icnas1.cc.ic.ac.uk/jbloggs.
- Select Go from the Finder menu.
- Select Connect to server…
- Enter your Home directory location in the Server Address box.
- Enter your College username and password to connect, if you did not login with your College username and password.
To find out about H: drive quotas, go to Student and staff file space quotas
Connect to an H: drive from a mobile device
Recover a deleted H: drive file
Your H: drive is backed up daily, so if you delete a file or folder you can check for previously saved versions and restore the lost file yourself.
How long are backups kept?
- Most restore requests fall within the previous 24 hour window. For that reason more frequent backups are made available in the previous 24 hour window.
- Days 1 & 2 (last 24-48 hours): backups taken at 08.00, 12.00, 16.00, 20.00 and 00.00 are available (exact versions available depend on the time of day you are browsing).
- Days 3-7: A single backup is available for each of these days and it is taken at midnight.
Instructions for recovering deleted H: drive files
Recoveries can also be carried out by us for files older than 7 days and younger than 90 days. If you cannot see the previous version you need, or the file or folder is not present, contact the ICT Service Desk with:
- the folder location and filename of the file(s) or folder(s);
- the date and time it was last there.