Hull College Kingston Upon Hull

Hull College Logo

Hull College Kingston Upon Hull

Kingston upon Hull College of Education was founded in 1913 as the “Hull Municipal Training College”. The college had numerous name changes until September 1976 when it merged with the Hull College of Higher Education, which ultimately formed part of the University of Lincoln. The stimulus for the formation of the college was in response to a shortage of certified teachers in the city’s schools. The college-trained teachers and educationalists for the city and beyond followed an ethos which was primarily set by Cyril Bibby, principal between 1959 and 1977. The college’s first principal was Helen Todd.

Principals
  • 1913–1959: Miss Helen Todd
  • 1959–1977: Cyril Bibby
Alumni
  • Elliot Morley, MP (born 1952)
  • Theresa Tomlinson (born 1946), writer for children and young adults

Hull College is operated by Hull College Group, which operates three centres in the city located in Queen’s Gardens, Cannon Street, and within the KCOM Stadium. It also operates centres in Goole and Harrogate. The group purports to have a turnover of at least £60 million, 1,200 staff members and 25,000 students across its campuses.

The main bulk of courses in Hull are run in an eight-storey tower block overlooking Queen’s Gardens. Built in the 1950s, the block is an example of brutalist architecture. An £11 million extension housing a learning resource centre was opened in 2004 and financed jointly by Yorkshire Forward and the Learning and Skills Council

Get in touch

Hull College
Queen’s Gardens
Hull
HU1 3DG

Call us 01482 329943
Send an email info@hull-college.ac.uk