Hongming Xu University of Birmingham
Professor Hongming Xu CEng, FIMechE, FHEA, FSAE
Department of Mechanical Engineering
Chair in Energy and Automotive Engineering
Head of Vehicle and Engine Technology Centre
Hongming Xu is Professor of Energy and Automotive Engineering. He has 6 years of industrial experience with Jaguar Land Rover, Premier Automotive Group of Ford. Formerly member of Ford HCCI Global Steering Committee, project manager and technical leader of the UK Foresight Vehicle LINK projects CHARGE and CHASE between 2002 and 2007.
He has 250 journal and conference publications in engine flow, combustion, emissions and transient operation control involving both experimental and modelling studies.
- PhD & DIC, in Mechanical Engineering (Internal Combustion Engines), Imperial College, University of London, 1995
- MSc (Eng), in Mechanical Engineering (Internal Combustion Engines), Anhui Institute of Technology, Hefei, 1984
- BSc (Eng), Mechanical Engineering (Internal Combustion Engines), Hefei University of Technology, Hefei, 1982
Professor Hongming Xu obtained BEng and MEng from Hefei University of Technology in 1982 and 1984 respectively where he worked subsequently as lecturer until 1990.
He obtained PhD from Imperial College London in 1995 and then worked there as Research Fellow and Senior Research Fellow. He moved to Jaguar Cars Ford Premier Automotive Group in 2000, where he was a Project Engineer (2000-2001), Team Leader (2002-2004), and Principal Technical Specialist until he joined the University of Birmingham in 2005 as Reader in Automotive Engineering.
He was appointed to the Chair of Energy and Automotive Engineering in 2009.
- Automotive Design Process
- Powertrain Engineering
- Turbomachinery and Complex Flow
- Sustainable Energy
- Privilege Professor of Tsinghua University
- Visiting professor of Beijing Institute of Technology, Hefei University of Technology, Zhejiang Automotive Institute (Geely Motor Company)
- Member of SAE International Advanced Power Sources Committee, and Combustion and Fuels Committee.
- Alternate member of executive Committee of IEA (International Energy Agency) Combustion Task Leaders