Heriot-Watt University Physics
Physics impacts on all aspects of our technological society, from high-speed fibre optic telecommunications and ultra-fast computing to solar cells and nuclear power.
We deal in fascinating ideas about the fundamental nature of the physical world such as the way the very fabric of space and time is revealed by relativity, or the mysterious quantum world of sub-atomic particles.
The relevance of our courses to today’s competitive industrial world is due in large part to our highly successful research programme covering areas such as lasers, semiconductor optoelectronics, nanotechnology, medical physics and quantum computing.
Physics, BSc (Hons)
Core concepts studied include dynamics, electromagnetic fields and optics, leading to the fascinating quantum world of subatomic particles, the unique nature of laser light, and the philosophically challenging ideas of astrophysics. Mathematics forms an integral part in enabling students to understand physical concepts in depth. There are various options available in later years including Laser Physics, Photonics, Semiconductor Physics, Instrumentation, Nuclear Physics and Elementary Particles.
Research projects allow students to develop skills in experimental design or computational modelling, as well as practical ability, initiative, and teamwork. The MPhys degree is mathematically rigorous and suitable for those wishing to pursue research.
Accredited by the Institute of Physics (IOP) for the purpose of partially meeting the educational requirement for Chartered Physicist.
Heriot-Watt University Physics
- Highers AAAB or ABBBB with A in Maths or Physics
- A-Levels ABB with A in Maths or Physics
- HNC B in graded unit. Relevant HNC – please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further
- Int. Baccalaureate 29 points to include Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
- Scottish Baccalaureate Pass with BC in Adv. Higher Maths and Physics
- Additional information Entry normally to include Physics and Mathematics Highers or A-Levels at A or B and for Chemical Physics B in Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry
- A-Levels AAB with A in Maths and Physics
- Advanced Highers BB in Maths and Physics plus Highers
- HNC A in graded unit. Relevant HNC – subject to satisfactory tutor reference and interview. Please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further.
- HND BB in graded units. Relevant HND – subject to satisfactory tutor reference and interview. Please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further.
- Scottish Baccalaureate Distinction with BB in Adv. Higher Mathematics and Physics
- HND AA in graded units. Relevant HND – subject to satisfactory tutor reference and interview. Please contact Admissions Tutor to discuss further.
- A range of alternative qualifications may be accepted including good qualifications in non-scientific subjects. We will also consider mature applicants with appropriate work experience. Advanced qualifications should be in Physics and Mathematics.
Fees and funding
|Status*||Scotland / EU**||England / Northern Ireland / Wales||International|
|Fee||Paid by SAAS||£9,250||£17,440|
* Your residency ‘status’ is usually defined as the country where you have been ordinarily resident for the three years before the start of your course. Find out more about tuition fees.