Heriot Watt University Finance Office

Heriot Watt University Finance Office

It’s important that you plan ahead to manage costs of achieving your university qualification.

Your financial responsibilities

All students are charged tuition fees. You will either be paying your own fees, or a sponsoring organisation or funding body will be paying them for you. Find out more about how your tuition fees are paid.

You can download a PDF with full details on your financial responsibilities as an undergraduate or a postgraduate.

Managing your money

Most students have to pay for their living costs by working part-time or by borrowing money. Money might be borrowed through a student loan, or a bank or building society overdraft. Download our student finance guide for more information:

Financial support

Find out more about paying your tuition fees, and the possible sources of finance available to you while you study:

  • Scholarships & bursaries
  • Financial support

Heriot Watt University Finance Office

Your living costs while a student will vary depending on your situation, but you should expect to spend around £8,500 on living expenses during each academic year (9 months). This is only a guide figure and, of course, the amount you actually do spend is very much down to lifestyle choice.

Heriot-Watt University offers a range of scholarships and bursaries to help you pay for your education and other living costs while you are studying at university.

In addition, there may be other forms of financial support available to you from UK governments, depending on your circumstances and eligibility.

Financial support for students from Scotland

Students from Scotland may be eligible for a Student Loan, a Young Students’ Bursary, an Independent Students’ Bursary, an Additional Loan and Supplementary grants from the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS).

Financial support for students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales

Government loans and grants are available to help cover the costs of tuition fees and living costs. The types of loan and the amount of financial support that you are eligible to receive will vary depending on your circumstances.

You can find the latest information on what financial support is available to you from these organisations:

Heriot Watt University Finance Office

It is important to note that:

  • No tuition fees are paid upfront or while you are studying.
  • Student loans for tuition fees are available for all eligible students.
  • If eligible, the Government will lend you the money to cover the full cost of tuition fees for every year of study. The loan is known as the Tuition Fee Loan.
  • The Tuition Fee Loan is paid directly to the University by the government.
  • You only start to pay back the loan when you are earning over £21,000 a year (England); £15,000 (Wales); or £15,795 (Northern Ireland)*.
  • Repayment is based on what you earn not what you owe.
  • All outstanding debt is written off after 30 years (England and Wales) or 25 years (Northern Ireland).
  • You only pay back loans; you don’t need to pay back grants, scholarships or bursaries.

* Figures are linked to inflation, so will rise for 2013.

Students from England, Northern Ireland or Wales may also be eligible for scholarships and bursaries from Heriot-Watt University.

BBC News has a useful student finance calculator that shows you how the Tuition Fee Loan repayment system works for students from England or Wales.

Heriot Watt University Finance Office

Funding for part-time undergraduate students

Students studying an eligible part-time undergraduate course should note that the Fee Waiver Scheme no longer exists and all eligible students should apply for fee support under the Part-time Fee Grant Scheme.

Discretionary Hardship Fund

Undergraduate students who have taken out the maximum student loan they are entitled to, and who are experiencing financial difficulties due to exceptional circumstances or an unexpected crisis, can apply for a Discretionary Hardship Fund. Part-time undergraduate and postgraduate students are also eligible to apply

Childcare Fund

Full-time undergraduate students who are eligible for student loan support can apply for assistance with the cost of formal registered childcare, so long as they have applied for the maximum student loan they are entitled to.

Other forms of financial support

Student Support can offer more advice on what financial support options may be available to you.