Harper Adams University College Learning Hub
The Learning Hub is Harper Adams University’s Virtual Learning Environment.
We are keen to support tutors in creating interactive and engaging learning object and activities on their module plages based on good instructional design principles. Learning objects can range from a simple PDF documents, narrated PowerPoint presentations to full length videos. The Hub includes a number of learning activities activities including quizzes, glossaries, forums and feedback tools to name but a few.
The Learning Hub is the main access point to Turnitin, our system for students to upload their assignments for plagiarism detection, and increasingly also for online marking via the GradeMark feature.
To see some ‘how to’ guides and resources please click on the links below:
- General Moodle resources including the handbook
- Resources on how to use Turnitin and Grademark
- Formative assessment using Moodle quizzes
For further information on details of staff training please contact Lydia Arnold, Henry Keil or Carl Kennard, and for ATP related enquires contact Joel Reed.
Harper Adams University
Harper Adams University is a public university located close to the village of Edgmond (near Newport), in Shropshire, England. It is a specialist provider of higher education for the agricultural and rural sector.
Thomas Harper Adams, a wealthy Shropshire gentleman farmer who had died in 1892, bequeathed his estate ‘for the purpose of teaching practical and theoretical agriculture’. Harper Adams College opened in 1901; Headworth Foulkes was the first principal of the College and there were six students.
A specialist department was created in 1909 and the egg laying trials, which started in 1912, earned the College a wide following. In April 1915, the College was the first institution to provide courses for women in wartime farm work. The college contributed to the war effort by training disabled veterans in farm work, especially poultry husbandry. In 1916, women were allowed to enrol at the college on full-time courses for the first time and were to remain until after the Second World War, when priority of places went to discharged servicemen. The College was also instrumental in providing a wide range of wartime services, such as courses in tractor driving.