Harper Adams University Campus

Harper Adams University logo

Harper Adams University Campus

The campus is in parkland on the outskirts of Edgmond near Newport, Shropshire. Since 2000, the college has rapidly expanded and improved existing facilities, while introducing new ones. In 2003, the new Bamford Library opened. A year later, investments in new sports facilities followed.

The firm Dairy Crest built an innovation centre on the campus in 2015 costing £4M, transferring around 40 members of its staff there from the research and development section at the closed Crudgington creamery site.

Harper Adams University

Harper Adams University is a public university located close to the village of Edgmond (near Newport), in Shropshire, England. It is a specialist provider of higher education for the agricultural and rural sector.

History

Thomas Harper Adams, a wealthy Shropshire gentleman farmer who had died in 1892, bequeathed his estate ‘for the purpose of teaching practical and theoretical agriculture’. Harper Adams College opened in 1901; Headworth Foulkes was the first principal of the College and there were six students.

A specialist department was created in 1909 and the egg laying trials, which started in 1912, earned the College a wide following. In April 1915, the College was the first institution to provide courses for women in wartime farm work. The college contributed to the war effort by training disabled veterans in farm work, especially poultry husbandry. In 1916, women were allowed to enrol at the college on full-time courses for the first time and were to remain until after the Second World War, when priority of places went to discharged servicemen. The College was also instrumental in providing a wide range of wartime services, such as courses in tractor driving.