Goldsmiths University of London History and Politics
This exciting degree lets you explore the ways in which thinking about politics is vital to a study of history, and how the past development of social and political institutions and ideas is crucial to an understanding of contemporary politics.
Why study BA History & Politics at Goldsmiths?
- You’ll have the opportunity to gain precious industry-standard experience and apply your academic skills within the workplace through our placement scheme
- We offer something different and exciting – we use innovative, interdisciplinary approaches to the subject, and will encourage you to explore issues, controversies and themes rather than chronological periods
- We’ll defamiliarise you from what you think you already know, and encourage you to look at the subjects from a different perspective
- You’ll work with staff who are enthusiastic researchers as well as being excellent teachers, many being recognised as international leaders in their field
- We’re only 15 minutes by train from the centre of government and decision-making at Westminster and Whitehall, and you’ll be able to make use of the many museums, galleries and exhibitions available in London
- The degree will give you access to a wide range of careers by developing your critical, analytical and communication skills; we help you think beyond the traditional boundaries of subjects in ways which employers really value
- We have a lively events programme that attracts renowned speakers, meaning that you’ll have the opportunity to hear the latest political and historical arguments, theories and ideas
Contact the department
If you have specific questions about the degree, contact Erica Wald
International Baccalaureate: 33 points overall with Three HL subjects at 655
These requirements relate to 2018 entry. For 2017 entry please check the programme specification.
At Goldsmiths we offer innovative and challenging degrees in history, as well as a stimulating environment amongst a diverse and exciting community of students. Many of our students have achieved very high A-level grades, and that is reflected in our standard A-level offer.
But above all we’re looking for potential students who can demonstrate the range of skills, talents and interests necessary for this work, either through traditional A-levels or otherwise. We believe that all able students of whatever age and background who have the ability should have the chance to study at Goldsmiths, and we actively encourage applications from students with a wide range of relevant qualifications, especially the access diploma. We also offer a year 0 (foundation year) for students who need more preparation and experience before embarking on the BA. This is a longstanding commitment and practice. Consequently, over many years, a large number of our students have come from non-traditional backgrounds.
If you’re interested in applying to Goldsmiths, whether you’re currently studying or have been out of education for some time, we’d be delighted to hear from you. If you’d like further advice or have specific questions, please get in touch with the Admissions Tutor listed above.
We accept a wide range of qualifications equivalent to the ones listed above. This includes:
Access: Pass with 45 Level 3 credits including 30 Distinctions and a number of merits/passes in subject-specific modules
Scottish qualifications: BBBBC (Higher), BBC (Advanced Higher)
European Baccalaureate: 75% preferably including History
Irish Leaving Certificate: H2 H2 H2 H2
If your qualifications are from another country, find out more about the qualifications we accept from around the world.
English language requirements
If English isn’t your first language, you’ll need to meet our English language requirements to study with us.
For this programme we require:
IELTS 6.0 with a 6.0 in writing and no element lower than 5.5