Glasgow Caledonian University Verification
Confirmation of Student Status
You may require a confirmation of student status letter for opening a bank account, applying for a job, renting a flat, applying for a travel visa or applying for Council Tax Exemption.
You can now order student status letters through the My Service portal. Any students fully registered for 16/17 on a full time or part time course can use the service. Some students won’t be able to use the service – for example if you are a previous student, on period of suspension of study, withdrawn, not fully registered or requiring specific text eg. expected date of graduation.
If you are on a full time course, you should use this letter to apply for Council Tax Exemption.
Your student status letter will include the following information and will be produced in PDF format on GCU headed paper.
- Full name
- Student ID number
- Date of birth
- Academic Session
- Home and Term address (if different from your home address)
- Mode of Attendance (full-time/part-time)
- Course Title
- Course start date and expected end date
- Digital signature
To order a status letter
To order a status letter follow instructions below or download instructions here.
- Go to My Service portal. You may need to login using your domain username and password
- Under My Service menu, click on Requests, then Browse Request Catalogue
- Either browse to find Student Status Confirmation Letter category or type ‘letter’ in the search box
- Click Order
- Choose the type of letter you need
- If you need a general letter or a letter for Council Tax, use the Standard Letter
- If you need a letter for a bank, or you want it addressed to someone specific, click on Bank Letter/student status confirmation letter addressed to someone specific. The page will change to allow you to enter the name and address of the bank. Click on submit and the letter will be emailed to your university email account
- You should get an email with the letter attached as a pdf file within 5 minutes.
- If you are not eligible for a letter, you’ll get an email. If you believe you are eligible for a letter email Student Records quoting your student ID and name and explain what you require, in detail, to request a letter
Please also note that a student status letter is not proof of your address and this is highlighted on the letter itself.
Previous students, students on a period of suspension, withdrawn, not fully registered or requiring specific text
The categories below can request a student status letter from the Campus Life desk (1st floor George Moore building) during opening hours. You will need to take your Student ID card with you to collect the letter. At peak times it may take 3 or more working days to prepare your letter and waiting times will be advised when you submit your request.
You can also request a letter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, student ID and who you require the letter for.
- previous students
- students taking a period of suspension – the date you commenced suspension will be shown
- students withdrawn from their course – the date that you withdrew will be shown
- not fully registered
- students requiring specific text