Falmouth University Volunteering
Falmouth has many links in the local community, which means you can gain fantastic experience through volunteering and working with local organisations.
Volunteering can help to support your course and get you involved with the local community and local issues. It can also provide great work experiencefor your CV.
The FXU have loads of volunteering opportunities for our students, from one off events to long term opportunities. The Careers Advisory Service is also a great place to find out about volunteering and how you can benefit from it.
We have links to many businesses and organisations locally and beyond, so if there’s somewhere you want to volunteer or a project you want to start, we will always support you. Just talk to your tutor or course leader and they’ll point you in the right direction.
Engaging with the local community forms an essential part of your learning experience. It helps support your studies, gain great CV experience and helps you meet new people and new challenges. Here are some of the community projects our students have been involved with:
- Students from our BA(Hons) Digital Media, Graphic Design and Photography courses collaborated with primary and secondary school pupils from across Cornwall as part of the Young Design Programme with the Sorrell Foundation
- Our Professional Writing students often get involved with the local community and have written for local press and businesses, as well as student events like the annual Fashion Show
- Our BA(Hons) Graphic Design students collaborated with Trebah Gardens to produce work for the 26 Flavours project.
Festivals and events
Our students get involved with many local festivals and events. It’s a great way to make contacts and get some experience. Here are a few festivals our students have worked on:
- Port Eliot Festival – This festival runs over four days and hosts some of the biggest writers and musicians in the country. There are many opportunities to help promote and organise this event
- Cornwall Film Festival – Lots of our students take part in workshops and interview the UK’s biggest film talents
- Eden Project – there are many opportunities to volunteer with the Eden Project. They have a variety of teams you can work in and events throughout the year. Get experience in one of the most incredible places in the UK
- Falmouth festivals – there are many festivals in Falmouth and Penryn throughout the year that you can help to organise, such as the Real Ale Festival or Falmouth Oyster Festival
- Golowan Festival – Penzance and West Penwith celebrate a ten-day festival full of events, including a literary night. this is a fun and friendly way to get some work experience and see more of Cornwall
- The Poly – This independent arts centre with gallery and cinema is always looking for volunteers to help promote and run events
Galleries and museums
Getting involved with art evenings and events, or volunteering with galleries and museums, is fantastic to surround yourself with inspiration and creativity. Many museums and galleries around Cornwall rely on volunteers to keep them going so you can be sure to find opportunities.
- Falmouth students have contacts with many galleries in Falmouth and Penryn so it’s always worth visiting them to see if you can help out
- Tate St Ives hosts some of the leading artists in the country and is a brilliant place to gain experience
- Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange in Newlyn and Penzance exhibit some of the best local art and also hold some great events that students can get involved with
- National Maritime Museum Cornwall attracts hundreds of visitors and relies on volunteers to keep running
- Royal Cornwall Museum has exhibitions and events on Cornwall’s history, including the environment and fine art