Edge Hill University History

Edge Hill University logo

Edge Hill University History

Edge Hill University History

History

Edge Hill College was opened on 24 January 1885 on Durning Road, Edge Hill, Liverpool, named after the district in which it was sited, by a group of seven Liverpool businessmen and philanthropists. It was the first non-denominational teacher training college for women in England. By 1892, Edge Hill was one of only two colleges in England combining teacher training and degree course study. As student numbers increased, Edge Hill quickly outgrew its surroundings. The institution was handed over to the Lancashire Education Committee, with the foundation stone for the present Ormskirk campus laid on 26 October 1931 by J.T. Travis-Clegg, Chairman of Lancashire County Council. The main building comprised a main education block, four halls of residence (named Stanley, Clough, Lady Margaret and John Dalton), an Assembly Hall, a library, craft room, gymnasium, lecture theatres, classrooms and a music room.

Between 1939 and 1946, the college was evacuated to Bingley, in Yorkshire  and the Ormskirk site was requisitioned for use by the military.

The Durning Road premises was destroyed during a bombing raid in the Liverpool Blitz on 17 November 1940 which resulted in the death of 166 people.

Edge Hill became a mixed college, admitting its first male students in October 1959, when it had about 500 students in total. In 1963 the university recorded having 660 students and 59 members of staff.

The institution has since expanded further with further developments at Ormskirk and the absorption of the former Sefton School of Health Studies.

In 2005, Edge Hill was granted Taught Degree Awarding Powers by the Privy Council. On 18 May 2006 the institution became Edge Hill University and in August 2008 the university was granted the power to award research degrees.

Contact

Edge Hill University
St Helens Road
Ormskirk
Lancashire
L39 4QP
United Kingdom