Durham University Library Study Rooms
Bill Bryson Library The DS Access Room is opposite the Help and Information desk on level 2 of the Bill Bryson Library.
Queen’s Campus Library : Room D236 in the Library on Level 2 of the Ebsworth Building.
These study rooms are for the sole use of University members registered with Disability Support. To guarantee access, you need to book the room online in advance https://www.dur.ac.uk/library/services/essential/study-rooms/ and pick up the key at the Help and Information desk when you want to use the room. You can also contact the Help and Information desk at the Bill Bryson Library on 0191 334 3042 or at Queen’s Campus Library on 0191 334 0270 if you need help with this.
You can always check if the room happens to be free on the day. However, it is a good idea to think ahead and book slots to use the room in advance. To be fair to all potential users, we take bookings for up to 4 hours and do not allow consecutive bookings. If you have not collected the key within 15 minutes of the time you have booked, the room may be given to another user. The room must be locked after use and returned to the member of staff on duty. Students who fail to do may be prevented from using it in future. Please note that there is a fine of £1 per hour for the late return of a study room key.
In addition to a quiet work environment, the rooms provide:
- MyReader 2 – for magnifying text
- Flatbed scanner
- Wireless technology
- Height adjustable remote control desks
- Adaptable chairs to suit a variety of requirements
- Adjustable footrest
- Kneeling stool
- Document holders
- Angle poise lamps
- Hand held magnifiers are available from Library services points.
- Two networked PCs with 22″ flat screens
One of these computers at the Bill Bryson Library has the following assistive software installed:
- Text Help Read and Write – word prediction and spell check tool
- Inspiration – visual organising and thinking tool
- JAWS for Windows – text to speech software
- Mind View – mind mapping software
- FS Reader – reader software for DAISY talking books
- MAGic – screen magnification software with speech
It will also be installed at QCL in due course, when a review of services is completed.
If you want to use the Study Room in the Bill Bryson Library during self-service opening hours, you can do so provided you make sure it is booked in advance. The study room can be used until 30 minutes before the closing time.