Durham University History Entry Requirements
Subject requirements, level and grade
In addition to satisfying the University’s general entry requirements, please note:
- We welcome applications from those with other qualifications equivalent to our standard entry requirements and from mature students with non-standard qualifications or who may have had a break in their study.
- Our current entry requirements for History BA (V100) are:
- A-Level – A*AA including History
- Cambridge Pre-U – D2D3D3 including History
- IB is 38 overall with 666 at Higher Level including History
- Scottish Advanced Highers – A1, A, A in Advanced Highers including History and A, A, A, A, A in Highers.
- Welsh Baccalaureate – Grade C with A* and A at A-level (or equivalent), with at least an ‘A’ in A-level History.
- Please note ‘Ancient History’ is not accepted in lieu of ‘History’.
- We do not accept General Studies or Critical Thinking A-Level, Global and Independent Research Cambridge Pre-U and Extended Project Qualification as part of our offer.
- If you are an international student who does not meet the requirements for direct entry to this degree, you may be eligible to take an International Foundation Year pathway programme at the Durham University International Study Centre.
Applicants taking Science A-levels that include a practical component will be required to take and pass this as a condition of entry. This applies only to applicants sitting A-levels with an English examination board.
English Language requirements
Please check requirements for your subject and level of study.