Durham University 3D Printer

By | 19th May 2017

Durham University logo

Durham University 3D Printer

Archive for the ‘3d printing’ Category

Staithes Changes

Finished two prints of a cliff face at Staithes, North Yorkshire. The first is one seen before, a colour-mapped scan showing areas of change:

staithes-falsecolour

The second is a full colour print from a newer scanner:

staithes-colourHere’s a shot of both, side by side (taken by Adam Clarkson) showing how the prints are aligned to allow direct comparison.

staithes-sidexside

The prints will be mounted on reinforced posters for presentation.

28
Jan

Augmented Reality Markers

For Adam Clarkson‘s augmented reality project, we created AR markers as tiles:

dsc_0019

The marker system is from NyARToolkit and the 3D modeling was done in 3DS Max 2009.

28
Oct

Mars

For the purposes of printing something for training on the Z650, a piece of the Martian surface, including Olympus Mons. This was produced with elevation and texture data from USGS Map-a-Planet Explorer service (www.mapaplanet.org).  The elevation data was taken from the MOLA digital terrain model map and processed in ParaView.
olympus mons

23
Apr

Rocks

Data, originally from Earth Sciences (?), supplied by Nick Holliman from the Interactive Media Technology Group, has finally been printed.  This took a bit of work to manipulate into a managable data-set ready for print. The original data is a LIDAR scan point cloud, originally given in VTK format. I had to write a tool to convert into point-cloud-only PLY.

mkville1

Apparently, its a cliff face near the sea in the US. Large expensive houses ride on the fate of coastline erosion.

05
Apr

Printing Data

Courtesy of Dr. Chris Gerrard in the Dept. of Archaeology, I got hold of some geophysics data. Using paraview, I was able to mesh the data, and thickened it using 3DS Max. The print was straightforward from there:

geophys1

Note that the colour information was added in paraview – by assigning a colour in the range blue to red depending on height, low to high.

22
Mar

Puzzles

Anyone want to solve this puzzle? Generated from STL files:
puzzlepieces

19
Mar

First prints!

After a quick bout of 3DS Max, the following mug emerged from the printer.  The lettering (and logo) on the mug are raised from the surface by a millimeter or so.

Technology Enhanced Learning mug print

The mug appears a bit ‘dirty’ because, during infiltration (dipping/pouring with a fixing fluid), bits of latex glove adhered to the surface. I also modelled up, from scratch, a stand for the air nozzle used in the Post Process Unit of the printer:

stand

17
Mar

3D Printer Arrives

This morning saw the delivery of a ZPrinter 650 3D printer made by Z-Corp. Yesterday, the printer arrived on a delivery vehicle that didn’t have a platform for lowering the crate, so it had to go and come back on a suitable delivery vehicle.

Anatol, from Thinglab (Inition), was here to supervise the delivery. Given the sheer size of the printer, we decided to take it out of the crate on the back of the lorry, and then separate the Post Processing Unit (PPU) away from the main body of the printer, allowing us to get the printer off the lorry, in the building, in the lift, and up to our floor.  Taking it out of the crate in the back of the lorry requires sufficient space (about 6m) to get the printer out of the crate.  Conveniently, Z-Corp have cleverly designed the crate to include in-built ramps that are deployed to roll the printer off the crate.

zcorp-zprinter650