De Montfort University Health Centre

De Montfort University logo

De Montfort University Health Centre

The Student Health Centre at De Montfort Surgery is located close to the campus and provides healthcare for students at DMU and their families. The centre also runs a range of specialist clinics.

It is very important that you register with the Health Centre as soon as you have enrolled on your course. It is FREE to register.

Paying for UK healthcare as part of your student visa application

Students that want to apply for a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK will need to pay a fee to use the National Health Service (NHS) – this is called a ‘migrant health surcharge’.
The NHS is the UK’s state health service, which provides treatment through a wide range of healthcare services, including doctors’ consultations; and paying the surcharge gives you access to these services – you cannot obtain a tier 4 visa without making this payment.
You’ll still need to pay for certain types of services, such as prescriptions, dental treatment and eye tests when you use them.

How much you must pay

As a student visa applicant you will need to pay £150 per year in the UK on a tier 4 visa. If your application includes part of a year that is less than 6 months, then you will pay £75. If the part of the year is more than 6 months you will pay the full yearly fee. For example:

How much you must pay
Length of time in the UK as a student Fee
 1 year and 5 months  £225
 1 year and 7 months  £300

If you have any family members that are applying to come with you as dependants, they will normally be required to pay the same fee as you. You can calculate how much you’ll have to pay before you apply.
Students applying inside the UK for a student visa will need to pay if they are applying for any length of time. Those applying from outside the UK will need to pay to come to the UK for more than 6 months Students applying for student visitor visas do not need to pay the fee. Read more