De Montfort University Hawthorn Building
|Address||The Newarke, Leicester, LE2 7BY|
|Occupants||Directorate of Estates & Commercial Services
Directorate of Student and Academic Services
Faculty of Arts, Design and Humanities
Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
Information Technology and Media Services
The Leicester campus is close to Leicester Castle and occupies what was once a religious precinct of the castle, built by the earls and dukes of Lancaster, known as the Newarke. It is bordered by the 15th-century Magazine Gateway or Newarke Gateway and the campus contains listed buildings, including Trinity House, rebuilt in 1901 and containing part of the original 14th-century Hospital of The Annunciation building. The Hawthorn Building contains the ruins of the 1353 Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady of the Newarke, where the body of King Richard III is said, according to early sources, to have been displayed before his burial at Greyfriars. The ruins form the centerpiece of the De Montfort University Heritage Centre, opened in March 2015. As well as the ruins, the Centre also celebrates the history of the university and contemporary student work.
The campus has seen several recent developments as part of a ten-year £200 million initiative by the university, such as the £35 million Hugh Aston Building; constructed to move students from the Faculty of Business and Law closer to the centre of the university’s infrastructure.
In 2016, the Vijay Patel Building was opened. The Vijay Patel Building is home to art and design courses and is the centrepiece of the £136 million Campus Transformation Project which aims to “provide DMU with one of the finest campuses in the country”. The building is named after Dr Vijay Patel, who, alongside his wife, made the single largest donation by individuals in the university’s history.