Cranfield University School of Management
Cranfield University School of Management, Cranfield School of Management, established in 1967, is one of the oldest and most reputable business schools in the UK. It is part of Cranfield University, the UK’s only wholly postgraduate university specialising in science, technology, engineering and management.
The school is constantly ranked among the top 20 European business schools by the Financial Times and is triple accredited by the Association of MBAs (AMBA), EQUIS and AACSB. It is particularly well-known for its MSc Logistics & Supply Chain Management and MBA programme.
The Cranfield University campus, which includes the School of Management, is located just outside the village of Cranfield in the Bedfordshire countryside.
The School’s Management Information Resource Centre offers access to electronic resources and is equipped with a “Bloomberg Suite”, a series of terminals offering access to live financial services news and data on industries, markets, economic indicators, equities, bonds and derivatives. The school also has a purpose-built residential management training centre.
- 1937: an RAF airbase was set up near Cranfield village in Bedfordshire in 1937 in the build-up to the Second World War.
- 1946: the airbase became the site of a College of Aeronautics to provide education and training for aeronautical engineers. Aspects of management were a feature of Cranfield programmes from the late 1940s.
- 1953: the Work Study School, which evolved to become Cranfield School of Management, opened.
- 1964: the first Cranfield MBA programme was run.
- 1967: Cranfield School of Management was founded.
- 1969: Cranfield was awarded its Royal Charter giving it university status and the power to confer degrees under the new name of Cranfield Institute of Technology.
- 1993: Cranfield Institute of Technology changed its name to Cranfield University.
- 2001: Cranfield SOM gained Triple Crown accreditation, one of the first few to do so in the UK
The Cranfield MBA is a full-time one-year programme beginning in September each year. The class comprises around 100 students drawn from 30 to 40 countries.
The Cranfield Executive MBA is a two-year part-time programme that starts in January each year. The programme is offered in a weekend format and has a focus on real-world learning and leadership development.
The School offers the following full-time one-year masters programmes:
- MSc in Finance and Management
- MSc in Investment Management
- MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- MSc in Management
- MSc in Management and Corporate Sustainability
- MSc in Management and Entrepreneurship
- MSc in Retail Management
- MSc in Strategic Marketing
Executive Masters programmes
The School offers the following part-time two-year masters programmes for experienced executives:
- Executive MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management
Along with other schools of Cranfield University, the School of Management provides programmes for the Defence Academy, UK, which is responsible for training for members of the UK Armed Forces and Ministry of Defence Civil Servants. Relevant programmes include:
- MBA (Defence)
- MSc in Programme and Project Management (Defence)
The School offers a PhD programme on both a full-time and part-time basis and an International Executive Doctorate (DBA) on a part-time basis.
General Management Programmes
Cranfield’s Centre for General Management focuses on developing the conceptual framework and practical understanding essential to work with a general management perspective. Its portfolio of executive programmes is designed to develop personal leadership effectiveness and improve long term business results, enabling managers to make the personal transitions required at key points in their careers.